This is not related to drug abuse, but I got a question...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ziva, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziva

Ziva Well-Known Member

I was prescribed yesterday Clonazepam since I feel that Lorazepam has not been working for me anymore. I would find that when I took Lorazepam I would feel suicidal the next day(and no, this is not the main reason I'm suicidal- I stated in earlier posts why, it's because of a number onf things, mainly because this 45 year old woman who is a nurse has been making my life hell since November 2008 for having a seizure and other stuff, see past posts for more information). Anyway, I was now prescribed Clonazepam and some people have been saying that it's not as effective then Lorazepam but others are saying(and hit is not on this site by the way) that it is stronger than Lorazepam, apparently if you take 2 mg of Clonazepam once in a while when your body has not built up a tolerance to it the drug is stronger than Lorazepam, and people say that unlike Lorazepam they don't feel as "tired" ur unable to sleep because of the night after they take Lorazepam. I used to find that in the past, which is why I took it a lot during the night(only 2 mg of Lorazepam since 1 mg wouldn't work for me) to help me sleep, since other sleep medications I have been prescribed have made me sick in the past.

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone here has tried Clonazepam and Lorazepam and which do you find more effective? I know Clonazepam has a slower release period and a longer half life than Lorazepam, since Lorazepam usually works within an hour after taking it while on an empty stomach, I find these drugs don't work when I eat something. Does anyone else find this?
    I would appreciate all my questions being answered, thank you.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Ziva I think your doctor is t he best person to be asking these question about your meds. You are right though clonazepam is a slow release medication it is like lorazepam but it does not have immediate effect They are from same family of meds. Lorazepam is used for anxiety attack mostly as it give quick results and does not stay long in your body. Clonazepam is used for anxiety disorders that need to be kept under control for longer periods of time.
    I think the latter would be the one that causes drowsiness in the morning.
    You should not change dose doctor ordered okay because you may be on other meds that can affect them. Talk to a pharmacist as well they can give you all the answers correctly as your doctor can do hugs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.