This is ruining my life and i don't know what to do

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Dahak, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

I honestly do things that aren't normal but i do them anyway.First thing i always have to check doors multiple times to make sure they are locked like 5 or six times.I just can't stop doing that, i know its lock the first time but i still have to keep checking.

The thing i really have major problem is with buying some item online or in a store but if that item has a tiny mark or scratch i basically go crazy and have replace it trying to get a perfect item even though the item might work fine, i have drive 20 miles once just to replace something that had only a tiny mark.I mean i've been in a store and looked at clorox disinfectant wipes containers for a mark on the box, i know some might say i'm stupid but i can't help and i want to stop, i really want someone to tell me the item i purchased is ok don't worry about it.Just a few minutes ago i had to call a online store just to replace an item because it had a tiny mark on it, i wish i can stop doing that.

I'm sorry for my grammar and punctuation if i could type more clearly i would.
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

You can get meds for it or sometimes therapy and/or willpower is enough to control it.
  3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

That's definitely OCD. You need to seek help for it.
  4. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Don't think you're awful for this! You're not!

It's OCD. And, it's ok. Although, it is really hard to live with.

Meds can really help. But, the hard part is having to force yourself to not do something you would normally do. It causes a lot of anxiety, but the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Therapy and meds are probably your best option.

I know this is hard and creates anxiety, because I've had to do it. But, it can be done. It's just hard.

Sorry you're struggling. Don't beat yourself up over it. You don't need that.

Take it one day and thing at a time. You'll make it. Promise.
  5. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Like the others have said, it sounds like you have OCD. You're not stupid at all, and there are ways to treat OCD. You can do it
  6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

It definitely sounds like you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I think I may have some mild OCD as well, because I really like washing my hands a lot. I'm a little obsessive about germs.
  7. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for identifying my problem and helping me and stating i'm not stupid or awful for that, each of you, i see this will cause me to take more meds and see more doctors something i really don't want to do, i already take multiple meds for other reasons and problems.I think i'll try and take it one day at a time and use my willpower like some of you suggested but i don't know if i have any willpower.

By the way dave, i have that problem but i didn't list it i'll wash my hands after i touch anything and i mean anything..I'm gonna try and stop doing that as well.
  8. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I think you should take some behavioral therapy. If you don't want to do drugs well you don't have to. Find a therapist who can help you without drugs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.