This is so triggering...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by anasgirlx, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anasgirlx

anasgirlx Well-Known Member

We're talking about adolescent suicide in my psychology lecture and its very triggering for me. People are making jokes and stuff about it which makes me feel awful since ive attempted so many times and am constantly thinking about it. It makes me wanna die even more. And the worst part is that my teacher doesnt even say anything to them about the jokes!

I like my psych teacher alot, I do. He knows about my attempts and my eating disorder..but sometimes, he just doesnt get that talking about this kind of stuff is triggering for me. Like, last week, he suggested we take a field trip to a psych hospital. Like, wtf? He knows that would be sooo bad for me. I talked to him after class about it, letting him knw I could never do that. Luckily, he said it was just an idea and that we wouldnt be going.

But, everything seems to trigger me these days..any advice?
  2. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Of course the more you sit and think and talk about it becomes a reality for you so you will think about it.

How immature for them to laugh about this, but you know the ones that have never been around it can never understand. And people do laugh when they get uncomfortable so maybe that has something to do with it to.

How hard it must be for you to sit there though, maybe you can try and explain to them what it does feel like, think you could do that? Try to put it in perspective for them, but then they will know, your secret will be out in the open for all to talk about.

Or maybe you could suggest writing a paper on people and why they have choose they way that they did, maybe that will open up minds to see that this is not an attention grabbing thing that suicide is very real and its happening all around us.

Im glad to see that your doing okay and that your still fighting.
  3. anasgirlx

anasgirlx Well-Known Member

Thanks, Amy..

Yeah, I think I will speak up about my illness and explain to them that suicide is not something to be joked about, it is very real.
  4. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

diy is right people whove never suffered with loss or depression have no idea how it feels and speaking up could be a good thing you may even find you are not the only one feeling like this.
    but you can be the one to open the debate
    good luck.
  5. All these mixed emotions

All these mixed emotions Well-Known Member

Yeah, its sad that (some) people react that way to the subject. Although this is not a easy subject for people to handle.

When I was in school they all kept bitching about the dangers of drugs and the common stand most folks had was that suicide cant be prevented, but that you can stop drugs...

So we had literally days of talking about how bad drugs are, and yes there where some good jokes in that subject to :)

It made me realize that they just dont know better, although any way of bringing some attention on suicide is technically a good thing.

I think that the bottom issue of all this misunderstandings and jokes about death has basically to do with that we live in a “death-culture”. Its like nobody has a understanding of how much a life is worth.

There is to much killing and suffering on all levels of life, and the mindset is that its okay to kill and get on like idiots.

So ofc there is gonna be the same talk either if its murder, suicide, abortion, war etc...
    No one likes it, but its needed to deal with it somehow, jokes and denial are the most common ways

Dont let it get to you, try and fix what you can, depressions, ana, whatever that is holding you down
    You know better and that is enough I would say.

Nuff said... just keep strong in a world that always gonna need people who understands.
    Change is a thing only the sufferers can do, the rest are followers and they have no clue what to change...

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

This must have been very difficult for you.

Don't forget that people will always joke about things that make them uncomfortable. It's a coping technique, because they don't know how else to behave. Especially with teens, etc. But it doesn't make it any easier for you, because it's just not funny. It would be excellent if you can help them understand what a serious thing it is. And they also need to be aware that they don't know about the experiences of the other people around them, and should therefore always be sensitive about any such 'taboo' topic (grr, I hate that it's considered to be a taboo subject in the first place!).

With regards to your teacher, it seems to me that he thinks it'll be good for you to talk about it. Maybe he's hoping that it'll 'scare you off' somehow, I don't know. But I think it would help to explain to him that such things are triggering for you, and actually make it worse, especially when everyone is making jokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.