This isn't a damned joke!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I fail to understand why my landlord thinks it's funny when he's had multiple complaints about bats getting into this apartment. He said he doesn't know how to get rid of them, and asked if we could do it. Um, what? That's your job, isn't it? It was bad enough when one was flying through the kitchen one night. It was even worse when one came through the light fixture above the shower. But what tops it off is when I am sitting on my bed, minding my own business, when suddenly something hits me in the side. I get up because I instantly know what it is. I lock myself in the bathroom, thinking I will be safe there. But no, of course not! The damned thing CRAWLS UNDER THE DOOR! I start throwing things at it, thinking it will go out the other way. No, it comes flying at me, and I have to run out of there. Granted, it is small and probably harmless, but freaked me out beyond belief. Dare I say it was kind of cute? But that's not the point. The point is, I am afraid that one will bite me when I am sleeping or something.

I am wondering, what happens if the landlord refuses to do anything? Who do I contact next? I am beyond freaked, I have that creepy crawly feeling. I even cried and screamed a bit, yes I am a girl :p Of course, they always disappear when my grandpa tries to get them. No, I'm not crazy. Another thing I am wondering, should I go to the doctor if the thing just landed on me? Or am I likely in the clear? I don't think I can get any disease just from close contact, but I don't know for sure. Any input would be much appreciated.

Fading_Awayy likes this.
  2. The Nut Low

The Nut Low Active Member

Your best bet is to call the city, and see what the procedure is. There is usually some sort of housing authority you can call.

I think the proper protocol to send a letter saying if it's not taken care of you will move out. Save a copy and use it as a defense if he tries to sue you for unpaid rent. You can also call pest control and have the bill deducted from your rent.

I went through the same thing with Birds in my old apartment.

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm starting to think it's some sort of infestation, so that needs to be taken care of before it gets a lot worse.

The Nut Low likes this.
  4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, that sounds so scary and annoying at the same time!

I hope it gets sorted!

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

I hope so too, it's just really creepy. Just seems to happen at random and I don't like the idea of outside animals being that close to me.

6. Fading_Awayy

Fading_Awayy SF Supporter

Holy crap sorry! that sounds terrifying , you should file a complaint as* the nut low * said really hope you get this problem fixed soon

The Nut Low and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hey, Witty. I feel for you. There was a bat in my office building once. We had one in my condo's underground garage once, too. They're sneaky and seem to come out of nowhere. *fwap fwap fwap* OK, they're kind of cute to look at (maybe), but not good to have inside!

I imagine your landlord knows that all he needs to do is call a pest control/removal company - problem solved. He might be dawdling/playing dumb because pest control/removal will cost him money. However, depending on the laws where you live, you might have a right to demand that he get rid of them...In my experience, wild animals inside are considered "pests/health issues" just because they're uninvited, destructive, messy, etc.

Good luck when you contact the city. I hope your landlord gets his act together on this. Let us know what happens. I'm curious now. :)

8. Witty_Sarcasm

I think I'm not as scared now, but I don't need to be startled like that late at night. I'm kind of afraid to turn the lights off now :p I hope he does fix this problem soon, or I might even consider looking for another place to live.

9. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Eeek!! That would be freaky. When I was at my dad's last summer, we were sitting out by the pool and a bat flew at me. I hope it gets resolved soon, and if it doesn't, I hope you can find another place to live.

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah, I hope so too. Otherwise, you can just ship me some peach wine, lol.

WildCherry likes this.
  11. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Just might do that! It is, at the very least, his responsibility to handle them and have them removed. My sister had a similar problem when a raccoon gave birth to noisy babies in their roof, and the landlord insisted that it was only rats. As adorable as they can be, they do pose a health hazard and that is more than a valid reason to call an agency. I am sorry that you are going through, sounds rather startling to have them flying out of nowhere. *huggles*

MisterBGone and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  12. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah, I didn't mean to startle it either, I just didn't want it that close to me or the chance of it biting me. But I have to find a solution to stop them from getting in.

13. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Lol I'd have to buy a bottle for each of us, considering I seem to be unable to stop once I start drinking it!

14. Witty_Sarcasm

Lol, good idea! I may need it just to be able to sleep :p

WildCherry likes this.
  15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

*hugs* I get creeped out at mice,I think there is one in my room at the moment, I can hear something scratching, there is a small stream of river at the back of where I live so I amalways terrified of rats being around. Bats!!! yikes! Scary stuff, i hope you can get it sorted out and sleep soundly again :)

16. Witty_Sarcasm

I am scared of mice too. There was a problem with them here for a while, now it's bats. I'm not sure which is worse, either way I am afraid to turn off the lights now because I want to see if there is anything in my room.

17. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Got good and bad news about this. If theyre protected species in your state you got some sticky situation just call the DNR and see if they're willing to trap the roost and relocate them

18. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Usually the DNR has good advice due to wildlife bat population going downhill with some type of disease killing them off I'm not sure if its not in US or other Country I was reading this up.... we need bats to kill those disease carrying bugs!

19. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah, it's called white nose disease I think. They do a good service by eating all the bugs. But I want to make sure they stay outside. My landlord was boarding up some holes so hopefully that will help.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  20. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Witty, your landlord also needs to make sure there are no bats hiding in bat-hidy holes in the building. Please ask him to get an animal control/pest control company to come in to double check. I truly think it's an obligation on his part since he is leasing the premises as a YOUR HOME. There are health concerns with having wild animals in a residence...cute animals or not. Just my opinion, hun. *hug*