This job hunt is starting to get the better of me.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ctunnel, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctunnel

ctunnel New Member

I've been hunting for a job for three months now, sending off dozens of resumes every week, and in this time I've gotten three interviews. Two were bait and switch interviews, where the job I interviewed for was not what I applied for, since they were "marketing companies" that are still posting the same job listing, months after my interviews. The third was for a retail job that I never heard back from, despite the interview going remarkably well.

This is just flat out depressing. I've been out of work for two years as a stay at home father, so I think people are seeing my resume and dismissing it outright. I'm thinking of taking a week off from the job search just to get my mindset right to continue hunting.
  2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Sorry that your job hunt is so disheartening - if you think a week out will help then I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. I went through the same thing myself two years ago - I must have sent about 400 applications in the space of around 6 weeks. If you keep at it, eventually you will get somewhere. I would get someone to look over your resume and make sure it is appropriate for the type of job you are applying for; a few tweaks can make all the difference!

Good luck!
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Is there an employment agency that can check over your resume so it is top notch. In mean time is there any volunteer positions that you can do that relates to your job so there is no time spent off of work it looks so much better on resume It does take alot out of one i have been applying as well for postions had several interviews and just got a casual job now
    Take some time off from looking give yourself a break but don't give up ok hugs
  4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

If you don't have a lot of work experience, try making your resume to be mostly about your general skills and qualifications. That's what I did, and I couldn't get anyone to call me back for a long time at first, and once I did that, I got like 4 call backs in one week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.