This makes things so much more difficult than they should be...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by KittyGirl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well; little brother is going out tonight-- like he does *every* night.
    He's a teenager.

Do teenagers these days drink every night?
    He was asking me if I had a recyclable water bottle so that he could fill it with alcohol. He's not going to a party or anything... he's just going to loiter downtown. Why does he have to drink/have alcohol on him every night?
    I don't understand.

Is that the rule for teenagers?
    He's not even doing it to be rebellious- because in our family, we're allowed to drink openly once we turn 16. I never did because I just didn't want to. It seems pointless to me...
    So why does he want to drink all the time?
    It's like he feels he has to drink to have fun.

If this is the way people are going these days-- alcohol all the time, 'party all the time' I will never ever be able to be social again.
    I'm straight-edge.
    It's already impossible enough to find friends who are straightedge as well; all of my friends- all of the people I know drink or smoke or drink and smoke and it would be nice to be around *SOMEONE* who doesn't drink or smoke so we could not drink and not smoke together.
    Then the only person I knew in highschool who didn't drink or 'smoke' smoked pot and did heroin... so they were not at all the same as me and just claimed to be.

I just don't understand people.
    Not one bit.

Is anyone else here straightedge at all?
    Is anyone else in the world actually straightedge?!?
    I'm beginning to doubt that very much.
  2. Things

Things Well-Known Member

Never drunk alcohol, never will, nor smoke (they cost too much anyway :p). But if pot ever became completely legal, I'd probably try to see what it's like.

I think everyone in my family smokes or had smoked in the past. Frustratingly, my dad started again and is struggling to quit, again.
  3. AnotherFallenStar

AnotherFallenStar Well-Known Member

I am. I know what you mean. All my friends were drinkers and smokers. They left me out quite a bit because I didn't do anything. I've already lost all faith in teens and young adults.... It's really sad...
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I don't like drinking and I've never smoked...I'm pretty straight edge as they come...I don't get it either...drinking does not make it more fun...I think your brother has a drinking problem...

nowadays you have to drink, do drugs and have lots of sex to be cool so I must be the uncoolest person in the world...I'm not the time to sleep around at all...and so...I'm considered weird...and old fashioned...
  5. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I'm not straightedge, i drink occasionally because i enjoy wine and things, only get actually drunk a few times a year. I smoke cigarettes.

I know what you mean, all my friends are around 25+ and they still go out every weekend with the intention to get fucked up. My ex couldn't not drink when he went out because he said it was boring. I find that sad.

I don't even really see my friends anymore, haven't done so much for years now. Might only see them every 6 months. I just don't have anything in common with them.

I have a mortgage and a full time job and i feel old and boring and conservative.

But i feel like then i shouldn't feel bad for making different choices, but i do feel bad and i feel alienated from everyone my age. My only friends i catch up with often are like 40+ years old.

Sometimes i feel like i lost out on my childhood and my teenage years, now i am 24 going on 50 and i hate myself. But do i want to be like the rest of them? no. I don't fit anywhere.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Well people around me have said I was straight edge before I even knew what that meant :laugh:

But I get you. I use a little alcohol as a tranquilizer like a benzo when I'm in states of extreme panic/agitation but I'm not a fan of alcohol. Going out and drinking socially just doesn't appeal to me, nor does smoking.

On the other hand I've been seen to be 'a druggie/drunk' a hell of a lot because of my moods and dissociation. I never needed things like LSD and amphetamines.

I had such hopes of my sister giving up drink and coming out with me after Xmas last year and just having a good time/relaxing with myself, but nah, it was all drunken promises. I understand your frustrations. I feel like I'd have shown her the world, the world outside the hell she's in.

Maybe your brother is alcohol dependent?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010