This may sound like a silly question...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by starchild, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starchild

starchild Well-Known Member

...but is the term anorexic strictly applied to people who think they are fat and thus restrict ther eating habits?

Because I'm fully aware that I have a problem; accoridng to the B.M.I, I'm about 42lbs underweight, and I don't not eat because I think I'm fat, but actually because I hate myself so much.

So would this be classed as anorexia, an eating disorder, or as self-harm?

2. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to say both, but I'm no expert.

If you're not eating and dangerously underweight, I think you can be classed as anorexic, even if you are aware that it is a problem....but then I think the whole thinking you are fat thing is a key element to anorexia.

Either way it could be argued that it is self harm, especially since you are doing it out of self hatred...

3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Anorexia nervosa is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes an eating disorder, characterized by low body weight and body image distortion, with an obsessive fear of gaining weight. Individuals with anorexia are known to control body weight commonly through the means of voluntary starvation, purging, excessive exercise or other weight control measures, such as diet pills or diuretic drugs.

so it doesnt restrict itself to people who think they are fat and dont eat.

so by definition yes you could probably be considered anorexic. but that is for a proffesional to decide
    :hug:

4. starchild

Thank you for the replies.

I just wondered what the label might be, even though all they really do is stigmatise the individual. At least if it's anorexia I can embrace it, to some extent, as part of who I am.

5. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

at 20kg (42pd) underweight I don't think I would even be able to get out of bed!!! Being 10kg underweight has severe consequences for me. I read about a lady who was 15kg underweight and had a heart attack. Are you sure thats how underweight you are? What is your BMI? How tall are you?

6. starchild

Well according to the B.M.I thing, for my height I should weigh about 10 stone (140lbs) but at the moment I weigh roughly around the 7 stone (98lbs) mark.

But yeah, I do struggle to get out of bed sometimes, and I get faint quite easily.

7. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

if you were to ask professionals, they'd be more likely to put you under EDnos
    (Eating Disorder not otherwise specified) because of the specific diagnosis they'd run. but that's just because they want the health system to look good and show that the increase in eating disorders is slowing.
    however, in my opinion, anorexia isn't distinguished just by the desire to look skinny - rather that is just a common symptom.
    i'd consider you anorexic (i hope that doesn't make you feel bad)

please see someone about this hun
    it's already got out of hand and you do need help for this
    please :heart:

8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It can be EDNOS, but it's defenetly self harm.

Why are you hating yourself?:hug:

9. starchild

Thanks for the responses.

To Locket; Thank you for the info, and no don't worry it doesn't make me feel bad...I actually don't mind really. As far as getting help, I'm not sure I even want to be helped. I'm so desperately alone and miserable that I actually kindda want to rot away.

To Hurted; it's so deep rooted and internal to explain. I think I've analysed myself to death, which is never healthy. I've hated myself for such a long time that I don't know what it feels like to be comfortable/at ease with being who you are.

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It's really unhealthy...i feel sorry for you :( :hug:

Please seek some help, i beleive you are a good person:hug:

11. HateMeToday

HateMeToday Active Member

i would consider you anorexic because actually most people with anorexia do it for control not because they don't like their bodies, although that plays a part, to "be" anorexic you have to be underweight, your body image distorted, and fear gaining weight, usually people put in EDnos are put there because they aren't underweight but since you are i think a doctor would classify you in that category, but remember we're not doctors.

12. wunderwood

wunderwood Well-Known Member

You don't have to think you are fat to have an eating disorder. I have had an eating disorder for a long time. I don't think I am fat. I sometimes just feel like i take up too much space. I know logically that i am underweight (bmi 15.7).

i don't think the label so much matters. i've been labeled anorexic, bulimic, ednos and it makes no difference to the reason behind why i do what i do.

take care

13. I know I over eat not for comfort, but to self harm coz for me life is so hard when Im over weight... I replaced cutting with over eating, if that helps...

-J- :sadwave:

14. Mayal

Mayal Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with anorexia since i was about nine or ten i think, and for me, it is nothing to do with weight in the aesthetic sense, and everything to do with control, because my parents would restrict my food or try to stop me eating, and it felt good to be able to do that on my own, and because my father found me less attractive the thinner i got. Since then, i have struggled to keep on my feet with this, and the one thing i would tell anyone if they feel they might have an ED or an unhealthy relationship with food, is to seek help, i know that it is a horrible thing to contemplate, and i know you hear horror stories of force feeding and commitment, but if you manage to catch things early enough in the cycle, then you may just have chance of escaping the worst.

I know that you feel that it doesn't matter, that your life is worthless starchild, and i know that anorexia may seem like something you can focus on or embrace, something you can have as a reassurance, but it is the singular most poisonous thing you can ever have in your life. it lies to you, in the mirror, in the head, in the heart. It tells you that you are not worth saving, that this act of fading away is romantic and painless, but there have been times when i have had so little time left to me, where medical intervention is the only thing that stood between me and death, and i was in so much physical pain, i couldn't salivate without the pain hurting my jaw, i couldn't blink because my eyes were so dry, my mind played tricks on me, i had hallucinations and flashbacks far worst than i have ever experienced under any other circumstances, i was dying in the most painful way, and it was this spectre of anorexia that was pushing me along the path.

I don't mean to lecture or worry anyone, i really don't, but when i hear things like your post about not caring if you rot, i worry so much for you, because you sound so much like me, and that is the last place i would want anyone to be.

Even now, i weigh just over 5 stone, and i am reasonably healthy as far as i my record goes. I don't think i will ever fully recover, i have done so much damage to my body, and so much danage has been done in other ways, i used to feel lost, anorexia hollowed me out.

I truly hope you manage to get yourself some help starchild. You deserve it.

Maya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.