This really bothers me.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know if this will trigger anyone, so I apologize in advance if it does. When I got to my uncle's this morning, he informed me that a friend of my cousin killed himself recently. Everyone was really shocked, but those who knew him had expected it somewhat, as he had tried a few times before. I felt sad for my cousin, because he had lost another friend through suicide several years ago. My uncle tried looking up the story online and couldn't find anything. That was strange, since he had supposedly done it in a public place. Well, my aunt sent a text saying the guy had faked it all.

I just...I can't really wrap my head around this. Why would you fake your own death just to get attention? I couldn't imagine hurting anyone like that. I felt for him a bit, since clearly he needs help, but it also made me angry that he would do that. It made me think about my own suicidal feelings even more. One reason I haven't done it yet is because it would hurt those who care about me. But how will they know when he is really in trouble if he cries wolf like that? I just don't know what to think about all of this.
  2. sahel

sahel SF Supporter

Yes, it's not right to get attention like that. But one thing that you/your cousin can do to avoid being angry with him and trying to forgive him, is thinking about what if it was for real? Then, you will be just happy about having him around and it would be easier for you to forget about his inappropriate way of asking for help/attention.
  3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I sadly think you'd have to be very sick to fake something like that, it's possibly a cry for help... or a way to try to take power over others... it's a thing sociopaths would do... but I don't know his reasons so I won't judge.

But I am sorry about what it has caused for your cousin, and you as well. That must have been so horrible.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

I have lost someone close to me through suicide, and it was devastating. It is still very hard to deal with. I think that's part of why it bothers me so much when someone threatens it as a way to manipulate, not caring how it makes others feel. I think he does need help, but it will be hard for people to trust him if he does these things for attention.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I know that a person who fakes their own death is truly sick. But I have a tough time feeling sympathy for anyone who would do that. It's a cruel thing to put others through, so the only emotion I feel when I hear about it is anger.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah, it made me angry because I know that I would never joke about my suicidal feelings or intentionally use them to manipulate someone. I just don't think he will have many friends left after doing something like that. You're right, it it hard to feel sympathy in a situation like that, but I hope he gets the help he needs.
  7. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

He may have done it for the attention but it could still be a way of him wanting to know if people care. This time may have been just for attention but he may be serious about it the next time.Hopefully he will see that it hurt people and he won't do it again.
  8. some_random_name

some_random_name Well-Known Member

I feel sympathies for both parties involved. It is horrible to make people feel that way. It's matiplulative to get attention that way. I do feel sympathies for him. I'd be a liar if I said I've never thought about how people would like me more if I were to killed myself. No one seems to like me while I'm alive maybe they will love me after I die. It gets hard sometimes. I wouldn't fake my death but I do understand why he did it and feel sympathies. We need to understand he is probably mentally ill and makes irrational decisions. Not saying what he did was okay but if he did it because he was sad I understand it. If he did it out of malice that is an evil thing to do.
    AdamTide likes this.
  9. some_random_name

some_random_name Well-Known Member

I hope he gets the help he needs before the next time when it may not be a joke.
  10. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

I'm sure people would like you if they got to know you. You have a lot to offer.
  11. hereigoagain

hereigoagain Member

Those of us who are truly struggling with suicidal thoughts could never understand such flippant behaviour. Guilt keeps us alive.
  12. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

That sucks but if he resorted to drastic seeking attention behavior he needs help.
    Maybe it was a bad joke/prank that he pulled over a friend and it spread like wildfire beyond his control or someone did it to him as a revenge spreading falsehood. There are always two sides and more. Hopefully he gets the help he needed or gets this matter cleared up before more people are offended. Sorry its bringing up some uncool feelings
    Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  13. Witty_Sarcasm

I hope he is doing ok now. I will have to ask my uncle and see if he knows anything about how this guy is doing.