This toothache is killing me

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by adamblast, Nov 7, 2010.

1. adamblast

adamblast Member

Not literally, of coursse, but it's the trigger of the moment. Damn this thing hurts.

Unfortunately I've been without any medical or dental care for two years now, I'm 51 and unemployed, and I can't help bitterly thinking I'd be getting better treatment in a mental hospital or prison.

Government-run healthcare doesn't kick in until age 65, and I'm certainly not going to last that long even if I don't kill myself. My esophagus is considered pre-cancerous; back when I had medical care they were examining it every year with an expensive hospital procedure that took me all year to pay off. Last time I did *that* was three years ago.

But this toothache is really making me crazy. Or crazier. Losing hope anyway. The tooth's not even loose, so I can't work on loosening it out or anything...

I spent about half my adult life as a professional stage actor, and I'll certainly never be cast in anything again, amateur or pro, with a tooth missing right up front where it's obvious. I'm not horribly vain about my looks, but I've played lots of great leading roles, and it was the only thing that gave me purpose and/or stemmed the self-hate tide by letting me feel challenged and proud of myself for a while.

The last two years have seen me getting increasingly suicidal again, at least as a near-constant fantasy obsession. It would be really pathetic if a toothache is what got me making plans.

I'm willing to hear ideas, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any realistic options, so I guess I'm mostly just after hugs and compassion. And a chance to say:

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

oh i know how painful a tooth can be just had a root canal done you need to get antibiotics into yu fast okay as your regular doctor to order them for you i did and the antibiotcs worked to take pain away after 3 days please go in get some mediction doctor may have samples in his office for you to take okay
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Last time I had a toothache, the pain was pretty bad for a few days but then eased up and I guess the tooth basically died because it didn't hurt anymore after that.

Sorry about what you're going through.
  4. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Im sorry youre going through this, and can totally relate given I just had to have a tooth removed just Fri. Id encourage you to try hydrogen peroxide on it. I would swish it around real well then rinse my mouth quite thoroughly. If there is an infection (signs being swelling, fever, or intense pressure) it'll help draw it out no meds required. Doesnt always work especially if its bad, but certainly worth trying. Theres a college where I live that has a dental clinic for their students overseen by drs. They offer free or extremely reduced rates some with payment options rather than all up front. Baby oragel can be helpful too to help numb the area or tooth in pain. Just a few suggestions. Oh theres also Dental Aid worth looking into. You can just google them. Salt water can help clean the area w/o takin a brush to it while its hurting. Can you tell ive been down this road a time or two? Hope it helps. Best wishes
  5. adamblast

adamblast Member

You're all terrific; thanks for the kind thoughts and suggestions.

The good news is I think it's going away. I was able to rinse and floss out the area before bed last night, hurt like hell, but I managed to get some sleep. It feels different today and totally bearable, like the cause may be over and the inflammation is winding down. I'm hoping it's not the tooth itself after all. My pet theory is that a sliver of popcorn shell got crammed up my gums and onto a nerve and now it's gone. I could be wrong of course, but relief is relief for now.

The bad news is I'm still me. :biggrin:

Thanks again. That was two days of the cruelest physical pain I've ever had.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  6. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Glad its beginning to feel better for you! These darn mouths are soo sensitive. Ive broken several bones in my day amongst encountered several other health issues in life. I could manage to gracefully handle them all np. When it comes to mouth pain though its like it turns me into some horrible person not even i want to be around. It gets downright ugly.
    Again, glad youre beginning to feel better! Take care