This world is so ugly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Oh things just keep getting better and better. BULL SHIT! As usual, my employer is changing the medical insurance. It restricts me to one medical group and no longer covers ANY out of network service. NONE. ZERO. NADA. And the group I am restricted to does not provide all services. So if I have surgery they bring in an outside anesthesiologist. So I guess I can opt to go into debt up to my eyeballs, have surgery without anesthesia, or die. They also do not have gastroenterologists, opthomologists or orthopedics. And, of course, the rates are going up for this. They do offer a better plan that will provide 50% out of network coverage, but I cringe at even thinking about what it costs.

This is an employer that claims to really appreciated us. They show it by feeding us pizza once in a while, and fixing a Thanksgiving dinner for us. And paying us crap. They just fired the entire night shift of collectors. Am getting different stories on that. One says they out sourced the jobs to El Salvador. Another that they got fired because of bad behavior. Oh, we do get off early on Christmas Eve, but don't get paid for the missed hours unless we work longer days during the week to make it up.

Not sure what I will do. May buy into Plan B Medicare before I wanted to and use employer shit as supplemental. Plan B is around $140 a month. Guess I could stop eating and bathing! And our stupid-ass politicians are too busy attacking Trump to deal with health care problems. And they think just having insurance solves everything. It doesn't. Not when insurance sucks and doctors aren't taking any new patients. The idea of leaving this crap-ass world just gets more and more appealing.

Brokendownwreck

Oh things just keep getting better and better. BULL SHIT! As usual, my employer is changing the medical insurance. It restricts me to one medical group and no longer covers ANY out of network service. NONE. ZERO. NADA. And the group I am restricted to does not provide all services. So if I have surgery they bring in an outside anesthesiologist. So I guess I can opt to go into debt up to my eyeballs, have surgery without anesthesia, or die. They also do not have gastroenterologists, opthomologists or orthopedics. And, of course, the rates are going up for this. They do offer a better plan that will provide 50% out of network coverage, but I cringe at even thinking about what it costs.

This is an employer that claims to really appreciated us. They show it by feeding us pizza once in a while, and fixing a Thanksgiving dinner for us. And paying us crap. They just fired the entire night shift of collectors. Am getting different stories on that. One says they out sourced the jobs to El Salvador. Another that they got fired because of bad behavior. Oh, we do get off early on Christmas Eve, but don't get paid for the missed hours unless we work longer days during the week to make it up.

Not sure what I will do. May buy into Plan B Medicare before I wanted to and use employer shit as supplemental. Plan B is around $140 a month. Guess I could stop eating and bathing! And our stupid-ass politicians are too busy attacking Trump to deal with health care problems. And they think just having insurance solves everything. It doesn't. Not when insurance sucks and doctors aren't taking any new patients. The idea of leaving this crap-ass world just gets more and more appealing.
This must be USA. I do read some awful stories about people there that can't afford medical bills and insurance not paying out, like they are always trying to stop people claiming. So inhumane. Is there any go to there when this net is not there anymore. I'm hoping you can find someone to help. I've heard of people start raising funds to help pay for things too. I'm really hoping you get some help there.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Life can be cruel. The healthcare where you are stinks unfortunately :(

I had to pay a lot of money recently for scans privately and to see professors, I could have got them publicly but it was a 14 month waiting list. I'm sorry you are going through something similar.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@Brokendownwreck Thanks Broken. Yep, it is the US of A. The land of the rich getting all they want and the poor getting screwed. I do have an option. I am old and can apply for Plan B Medicare. It will cost $$$$. But then I would probably lose weight cause I would not be able to buy so much junk food. Anyway, right now I will not do anything. Just see if there are any other options out there. And talk to my employer about maybe changing this next year. *hystericalWhat a fantasy that is.

Brokendownwreck

@Brokendownwreck Thanks Broken. Yep, it is the US of A. The land of the rich getting all they want and the poor getting screwed. I do have an option. I am old and can apply for Plan B Medicare. It will cost $$$$. But then I would probably lose weight cause I would not be able to buy so much junk food. Anyway, right now I will not do anything. Just see if there are any other options out there. And talk to my employer about maybe changing this next year. *hystericalWhat a fantasy that is.
Oh man my heart goes out, this should be last thing you have to worry aboutpeople work all their lives to end up being cheated by system and no proper care provided. I know this is a long shot but wondering if you can go to Europe and use the health care. So many people do so they don't always check. Yes there must be a way must be exploring all options because this isn't on! 🙏

Livelife

SF Supporter
I"m reading this thread for the first time. I'm sorry to hear what you are going through @SillyOldBear.
I can hardly talk about this topic. You would not believe as an individual buying my own insurance what I pay monthly for premiums...the rates have increased 4 fold for me in the last 3 years plus since Obamacare etc. my only option is not to have insurance. And last year I had to pay out of pocket the $6000 for my deductible plus the $3000 out of pocket because I had kidney stones last winter and prices for medical care are insane. That does not include my monthly premium. I give more to my insurances than I do to my house expense, utilities, gasoline, food, and taxes etc. And I'm not medicare eligible yet so it's all on me.
If I could expat right now I would....I am still considering it in the next year...I can't afford to live in the USA without being full time employed on top of my savings and I'm not able to work full-time at this time....I live in realistic fear of being on the streets in a few years. That will not happen, I will not live homeless whatever I have to do to not have that experience.
No one in any media space that I know of here ever addresses this subject in any forum. And I watch a lot of news. It's mind boggling to me that there isn't big noise made around this horrid system that the US has in place.
Thanks for letting me vent and again I hope your employers figure out and choose something more beneficial for their hard working employees.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Oh man my heart goes out, this should be last thing you have to worry aboutpeople work all their lives to end up being cheated by system and no proper care provided. I know this is a long shot but wondering if you can go to Europe and use the health care. So many people do so they don't always check. Yes there must be a way must be exploring all options because this isn't on! 🙏
Europe is not an option Broken, but thanks for the thought.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@Livelife There is plenty to vent about on medical care in US of A. Please do so anytime. I am retirement age, but must work to afford to live. But even that is not helping much, considering medical care costs. I do blame myself, at least in part. I have not taken care of myself over the years and been poor at saving money. So part of this is on me.
But when one of the richest countries on earth treat its citizens like this something is SERIOUSLY wrong. The damn politicians think insurance is the solution. Help everyone to have affordable insurance. Well insurance SUCKS and is really no help unless you are rich and can afford premium insurance. Medicare, by the way, is not cheap. I keep hoping for a gigantic plague that will wipe out us boomers, including me. Like you, I face the possibility of eventual homelessness. And I will NOT allow that to happen. Whatever I have to do. *hug

@Livelife There is plenty to vent about on medical care in US of A. Please do so anytime. I am retirement age, but must work to afford to live. But even that is not helping much, considering medical care costs. I do blame myself, at least in part. I have not taken care of myself over the years and been poor at saving money. So part of this is on me.
But when one of the richest countries on earth treat its citizens like this something is SERIOUSLY wrong. The damn politicians think insurance is the solution. Help everyone to have affordable insurance. Well insurance SUCKS and is really no help unless you are rich and can afford premium insurance. Medicare, by the way, is not cheap. I keep hoping for a gigantic plague that will wipe out us boomers, including me. Like you, I face the possibility of eventual homelessness. And I will NOT allow that to happen. Whatever I have to do. *hug
I'm feeling terrible that citizens in US are unable to afford these expenses it sounds Aka to blackmail making their citizens pay thousands of pounds and costs for health reasons. Im thinking a large social media campaign if the news doesn't cover it to get a petition and all the stories of people who are driven to dispare by greedy profit companies playing with people's Lives, it could do with pressure to change the law to a humanitarian one that benefits its citizens. Here we all contribute NI which isn't much at all and can receive anything without paying more, mind you politians have secretly been selling off bits and pieces over years and I'm worried they will eventually make it like USA where if you can't afford health care they let you die. Some politians are a disgrace because they can afford private health care the rest can't. Some middle income earners have to sell everything their homes cars to pay if they ever need it over there so it doesn't seem to benefit them either once they really need ongoing services.

Last edited:

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Update on all of this. I think a bunch of us talked to our HR jerkette about this. They have rejected the policy and sent it back to insurance company to be redone. Supposedly there will be no lapse in insurance coverage while we wait for something better. Will probably cost more, but what they offered wasn't worth crap. Only time will tell.
Thank you all for you kind thoughts.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Update on all of this. I think a bunch of us talked to our HR jerkette about this. They have rejected the policy and sent it back to insurance company to be redone. Supposedly there will be no lapse in insurance coverage while we wait for something better. Will probably cost more, but what they offered wasn't worth crap. Only time will tell.
Thank you all for you kind thoughts.
fingers crossed for a good final outcome...I'm glad to hear that there won't be a lapse, that's only right.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Although they ave to prove it to me that there won't be a lapse. Did get my prescriptions refilled today so there will be no problem there. And will forgo hang gliding, bronco busting and bull riding until I know for sure what is happening. *hysterical

Livelife

SF Supporter
I'm just seeing this this morning, sorry for the delay..I think something is not working properly with the flagging system.....
I don't ever see this broken system being addressed in this country, there's no payoff for the rich in it. I guess when we are flat broke and ready to go on the streets then we can get our medical for free. I am serious about the expat thing. I'm alone, have no family, and no-one would miss me.*console*shake

Livelife

SF Supporter
I'm feeling terrible that citizens in US are unable to afford these expenses it sounds Aka to blackmail making their citizens pay thousands of pounds and costs for health reasons. Im thinking a large social media campaign if the news doesn't cover it to get a petition and all the stories of people who are driven to dispare by greedy profit companies playing with people's Lives, it could do with pressure to change the law to a humanitarian one that benefits its citizens. Here we all contribute NI which isn't much at all and can receive anything without paying more, mind you politians have secretly been selling off bits and pieces over years and I'm worried they will eventually make it like USA where if you can't afford health care they let you die. Some politians are a disgrace because they can afford private health care the rest can't. Some middle income earners have to sell everything their homes cars to pay if they ever need it over there so it doesn't seem to benefit them either once they really need ongoing services.
@SillyOldBear @Brokendownwreck thanks for the thoughts. It's an enigma to me that this is never addressed anywhere in social media or on the news.... Actually not surprised it's not in the news because we know who allows what to be put on the screen and in the papers..... To me this is the top of the list issue for middle class North Americans like I used to be and I don't know how 75% of the adult population in this country are actually having coverage. I'm burning through money I had set aside for retirement to pay for this farce....when I calculated a few years ago what I would need over 20 years in my retirement phase it was on insurance premium figures that were 25% of what they increased to over the past 3 or 4 years. Paying close to $900 per month for premiums plus the $6000 annual deductible plus the $3000 annual out of pocket is criminal. Just so the wealthy can pay for their kids to have their 12 year college time at university and buy their private jets and 50 million dollar estates from exploiting their fellow Americans.
AND the insurance companies added insult to injury also 3 or 4 years ago buy exiting many states, mine included. I had a PPO in place for decades that offered good coverage and minimal effort on the purchaser's part and now there is no option for that category. I'm stuck in HMO's and have to get a referral for every damn doctor I see which has been a few this past couple of years, and I get to pay more for the privilege of receiving less.
Yes, I'm angry. And powerless unless I expat and leave the country I have spent 60 years living in and 40 years contributing to.
Wow, thanks for the space to vent. I had a rare cup of coffee this morning and look what it created......lol.

Last edited:
@SillyOldBear @Brokendownwreck thanks for the thoughts. It's an enigma to me that this is never addressed anywhere in social media or on the news.... Actually not surprised it's not in the news because we know who allows what to be put on the screen and in the papers..... To me this is the top of the list issue for middle class North Americans like I used to be and I don't know how 75% of the adult population in this country are actually having coverage. I'm burning through money I had set aside for retirement to pay for this farce....when I calculated a few years ago what I would need over 20 years in my retirement phase it was on insurance premium figures that were 25% of what they increased to over the past 3 or 4 years. Paying close to $900 per month for premiums plus the $6000 annual deductible plus the $3000 annual out of pocket is criminal. Just so the wealthy can pay for their kids to have their 12 year college time at university and buy their private jets and 50 million dollar estates from exploiting their fellow Americans.
AND the insurance companies added insult to injury also 3 or 4 years ago buy exiting many states, mine included. I had a PPO in place for decades that offered good coverage and minimal effort on the purchaser's part and now there is no option for that category. I'm stuck in HMO's and have to get a referral for every damn doctor I see which has been a few this past couple of years, and I get to pay more for the privilege of receiving less.
Yes, I'm angry. And powerless unless I expat and leave the country I have spent 60 years living in and 40 years contributing to.
Wow, thanks for the space to vent. I had a rare cup of coffee this morning and look what it created......lol.
You all have to move. There is nothing for you there. It's unfair and gross, but if they are going to take everything then they are not treating the American people right. You could all help each other escape out of there. Leave America to the rich. They don't deserve all you contributed. Its easy to say, but not easy decision to make, but what loyalty have they shown you. They are just screwing people up and then when they need help leave you all to it. No you owe them no more other than a goodbye. If it isn't sorted or they will not sort it you may have to expat to Europe. 🙏

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
No issue gets my blood simmering more quickly than this country's appalling healthcare "system".

We are the wealthiest country on Earth, and have the most expensive and inefficient medical services.

Healthcare should NOT be a "for profit" business commodity!

Obamacare was a good idea in spirit, but thanks to the insurance lobby and the reactionaries in Congress, it ended up a half-assed, watered down, expensive mess.

MediCare for all, public option!!!

Livelife

SF Supporter
No issue gets my blood simmering more quickly than this country's appalling healthcare "system".

We are the wealthiest country on Earth, and have the most expensive and inefficient medical services.

Healthcare should NOT be a "for profit" business commodity!

Obamacare was a good idea in spirit, but thanks to the insurance lobby and the reactionaries in Congress, it ended up a half-assed, watered down, expensive mess.

MediCare for all, public option!!!
yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00