thought i kicked the habit

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ava321, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ava321

ava321 Active Member

I was really upset. Stupid stuff. There was a safety pin on my desk and for the first time in a couple years, I just started hurting myself. I'm pretty surprised I broke the skin with this little thing. It was just there. But I feel so much better.. like everything suddenly focused on that pain and I felt so relieved and mellow. I don't get why this is so frowned on. I'm not trying to slit my wrists, I just redirect my pain and this is instant. I miss it. I did this for years and I stopped.. I don't even know, 5 years ago maybe? It's taking a lot to stop myself from continuing at the moment.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hope you do stop hun don't continue ok because you know it will start small then you will need more release and it will get worse not worth it ok hun use the positve coping skills ok
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think the goal is to externalize that need into healthy ways, that don't involve hurting be honest I'm not sure either why it's frowned upon. I mean BDSM people do it, they get whipped and stuff like that...and boxers, they get beat up for a living and beat up other people...I haven't cut in about 4 years too I think...I've had a few urges but I resisted...the only disadvantage is the marks on your body...but even then, I like my scars...I guess that makes me weird....
  4. cloudymemories

cloudymemories Active Member

I don't understand why people think cutting is bad either, especially if it's not threatening your life.
    I hadn't cut in weeks until tonight when I got really frustrated. I felt somewhat better..
  5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The bad part of it comes from the need to do something to inflict pain or damage to yourself in order to "feel better", that it is a very temporary feel better, and that the scars have negative effects on people for years after if not a lifetime. Any pattern where self destructive behavior is the "fix" likely needs a better cure.....

Unlike the other examples where people "choose", there is often no choice - since it is more compulsion and you cannot choose not to , it does not fall into the same category in any way.
  6. ava321

ava321 Active Member

The scars don't bother me. I'm doing something not deadly and it doesn't affect other people. Why stop what helps?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.