Thought I was OK...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by titanic, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

But my mind has been fooling me all this time into thinking I was OK but I'm not. I am drinking everyday. It is a dependency and I need help ASAP. I know what alcoholism can do to people. I never thought I would be in this position. I have been drinking 16 years.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

are you willing to get some help to stop drinking? it's more than a 'willpower' thing....
    i found AA worked for me, even tho i'm not religious. i found that going to the meetings and listening to people struggling wiht my exact issues really helped,
  3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you've been drinking that long you should get medical advice and/or supervision before quitting. Withdrawal from long term and/or heavy use of alcohol can be very dangerous. Is it possible for you to go to a detox/rehab place? At the very least please speak to a doctor about it if you want to stop drinking. And yes, AA can be very helpful for support and advice and fellowship. Best of luck to you from someone who's been in your shoes. I've just quit drinking (again) and vowed that it would be my last time as I can't afford to drink again and have to go thru the horrible withdrawal. I've made it to 7 days sober so far and plan to keep adding days.
  4. titanic

Thanks Catherine.
    I went to AA before and came out wanting a drink! The talk of alcohol for an hour made me worse. I will keep praying though. God can do for us what we cannot do for ourselves if you have enough faith. God will work in areas of your life that are needed. I gave up smoking not that long ago. I am determined to beat this alcohol dependency now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  5. titanic

Well done for making the seven days! I so hope I can do this. I have been drinking vodka in the mornings and I know it's got serious. I am on a slipery slope downwards, I must put myself out of this hole now. I can wait any longer for the rehab people. Plus, I don't want to substitute one drug with another, I have had a tendency to be addicted to pills on occasion.
  6. titanic

Made it for two weeks now! :biggrin:

It's been bloody hard work. I am drinking plenty of detox tea; blends green tea with dandelion, milk thistle and chinese violet (Birt&Tang).

Milk Thistle and Kudzu pills (herbal remedy) are good for alcohol problems.

I am starting to think more clearly too! Well, there's a surprise! Lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.