Thoughts are back.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Special-Agent-Gibbs, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Special-Agent-Gibbs Safety and Support SF Pro SF Supporter

Hello Everyone,

Sometimes the thought of cutting come back when the thoughts happen that are very very bad and hard to say no to. I have not been doing well lately. I just went to funeral this weekend and that wasn't easy. I really don't know what to right now. please help?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Please hun try to turn music on okay or a movie do something to distract yourself okay I hope you can phone someone talk to them let them know how you are hurting hun inside Keep posting here too okay Please just do something KInd for YOU okay You deserve kindness hun hugs

3. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Thank you for responding. I will try to distract myself.

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I also found that if I find what I need to say to feel a part of the planet, my urges to cut are greatly reduced. Under extreme stress, I know I look at the places where I used to cut and fantasize that I have done it. That is a red flag to me that things are brewing, and that I have to give those feelings expression

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I am a semi reformed self harmer. As a teenager I used to cut all the time I had to deal with a stressful situation but managed to recover from that. Now I only tend to do it when I am having an extremely bad crisis phase and haven't SH for 2 months now :). But some things I try are distractions such as reading, drawing, writing etc. I know sometimes when the thoughts and urges are so bad it can be extremely difficult to concentrate on these things so sometimes I try to write down my feelings and I sometimes make pros and cons about my day. Like little things that made me happy such as fussing my cats, getting dressed etc and I found I had more pros in my day than cons so that can deter me from SH'ing, no matter how silly the pros can be. Another things that can be tried is to wear an elastic band round your wrist and snap it as hard as you feel necessarily. It causes a quick pain but leaves no damage and you can flick it for as long as you like until your urges have settled down and you feel satisfied. The last thing I have to suggest is hold an ice cube in your hand and tighten it or hold it against your forehead. It hurts and burns and can give you that endorphine rush and feel better. Again no lasting damage, it can be rather painful and if you choose to do use your forehead you will have a red mark on there for a while :laugh:

I hope some of this helps.

6. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate the advise. :)

7. kizzybaby

kizzybaby Well-Known Member

Take it slowly. Take time in little chunks. Keep yourself busy for an hour, then another hour, then another. If you take it one step at a time, it gets easier.

Keep your hands busy, and your mind on other things. x

8. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Thanks for responding. I will try. Thanks for the advise! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.