thoughts on depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lostboy, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about natural selection, how only the animals with the right genes get to pass on their DNA. I’ve never really seen a depressed wild animal, because in the wild it would just sit under a bush thinking what a shitty life it’s had, and then a bear would come and bite its head off.

I was thinking wouldn’t it be great if all the meek and weak people, people who cant help themselves or who are somehow not fit for this world, basically people who find life harder and more of a choir than others, were the chosen diet of some sort of creature… Then I could be snuffed out through no fault of my own, it’d just be part of life and people would have to accept it. They’d all just think ‘a well it wasn’t to be, he didn’t have what it takes… a well there’s nothing we can do about it poor bastard’

Then I thought that maybe that creature is depression, maybe that’s what depression is for. To rid the world of people who have made a cock up of life, or don’t have the correct means to live a fulfilled existence. Maybe it fulfils a biological function. Maybe this is natural selection.

Just some random thoughts that have been playing on my mind.

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I think it's very possible that depression may be a form of natural selection, and in my worst times I wish too that I was prey for something else and I could just get killed. But if that were the case the world wouldn't have the majority of it's great artists, musicians, writers, actors, comedians, poets etc. Maybe we have a place after all...

3. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Interesting theory.

In psychology we've studied depression. Weirdly enough the evolutionary explanation is kinda the opposite of what you've said. It says that say in a conflict between two individuals of the same species, the loser has a better chance of survival if it lays low and steers clear of the society/group that it is in, and so may show behaviours which we may see as being similar to symptoms of depression. That would explain why depression is still around today.

Meh. Just thought I'd add that in there :wink:

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Yeah but wouldn’t staying low and dissociating from people have its downside, like lack of social status and skills, and make it hard for that person to procreate?

5. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

That's what I thought when we were taught it :tongue:

I don't know, thought it was interesting that your view on it was almost the opposite of the most common evolutionary theory, that's all. I suppose everything is open to interpretation, especially something as wide and variable as depression

6. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Fuck natural selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.