• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

thoughts on recovery vs suicide

hi there
I have a long list of things that I could complain about or be saddened by. At the moment, I’m not even focused on what those things are, I’m experiencing one of the greatest suicidal waves of my life. Having just moved to across the country by myself for the first time, I am struggling with a lot of things. My house is a disaster even though I’m usually very particular about it being neat. I physically can’t shower or get out of bed. I am very far behind in my classes and failing almost all of them. I just don’t care anymore. I was driving earlier tonight and I felt like I just couldn’t take it. I don’t know what I want more: to finally just do it and get it over with, or to try to get better. Is anyone else stuck in that mindset right now?

Last edited:

MosesY

Functioning Alcoholic
I would attempt to get better. Many people here have gone through a suicidal phase and recovered and have a good life now. I am included in that group, I went through periods where I only showered once a week, found it very difficult to go to work, etc. My boss actually talked to me about my personal hygiene. I have come a long ways since then. I hope that things get better for you. I would suggest talking to a doctor, getting a reference to a psychiatrist and perhaps getting on an anti-depressant. It helps to just live one day at a time and set small goals every day, like taking a shower, cleaning one room of your house, and doing an hour or so of school work for now. You will feel better if you reach these goals, make them doable. I hope that things get better for you.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
welcome to SF we are a peer community that cares but never judges. i can't be sure but it sounds like depression and possibly anxiety from all of the stress. you obviously can't continue this way. recovery is much better than suicide. talk to your doctor and be completely honest. he may just give you a med or may suggest a psychiatrist or therapy. it takes time to recover so please be patient. and if there is a school counsler go to them they may be able to help you. i hope you can find the help you need and start to feel better soon...mike...*hug*shake

Sorry that you're going through this Flowers
I don’t know what I want more: to finally just do it and get it over with, or to try to get better
There's very likely a way that things can get better, so that if you look back on this moment, you'll be glad that you didn't kill yourself.

If you get one or several good treatment methods, you'll probably feel better. There's also ways of putting academic work on hold without creating problems for your grades.

I'll be happy to make some suggestions if you'd like, but it's also ok if you don't want suggestions.

Wishing you good things.

hi may,
yes i would love to hear what you have to say! anything would help me at this point.
-j

Wishing you good things.[/QUOTE]
I'll be happy to make some suggestions if you'd like, but it's also ok if you don't want suggestions.

Wishing you good things.

The links in my signature have some information about treatment methods. I'll post a copy of the links in case you're on a phone.

Treating Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia and General Help
Acupressure Self-Massage for Depression, Insomnia, and Anxiety

I don't know if you're taking medication now, but it's probably a good idea to be on medication at least until you no longer feel suicidal.

If a medication hasn't worked well for you in the past, there may be other medications that you could try, or some other completely different treatment methods.

You're welcome to ask me any questions you'd like about any of the treatment methods in my signature links, or just about treatment methods in general.

I am very far behind in my classes and failing almost all of them
I think most schools have some kind of provision for "medical incompletes", or something similar by a different name. That is, if you have a medical issue that is preventing you from completing work, you can withdraw from the classes with little or no academic penalty. It may also be early enough in the semester that you can get a refund on your tuition.

If you have an academic advisor or there is an academic counseling office, you may want to try sending them an email or otherwise getting in contact.

I hope something can help.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$510.00
Goal
$255.00