Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ForsakenME, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForsakenME

ForsakenME New Member

I'm relluctant to open up to my social worker/psychatrist because I'm worried about their reaction.

I suffer with near unbearable levels anxiety/depression and I'm also starting to suffer with early sign of psychosis hense being refferred to my social worker/psychatrist. I've told them about the irregular voices I hear but I've refrained from talking about the thoughts I have.

Sometimes I can see the thoughts in my head as if they are real. I think of killing the people closest to me in horrific ways. Sometimes when I'm washing the dishes I'll stand at the sink with a kitchen knife in my hand deciding whether I want to hurt my loved onces. Other times I'll put a knife to my throat while I think to myself <edit moderator total eclipse method>or not.

I haven't spoken with anyone about these thoughts because I'm worried that I may be sectioned.

I suppose my question is; if I were to tell both my social worker and my psychatrist about this would they section me or allow me to stay at home?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

They will not section you they will get you on t he correct medication to stop these thoughts. You need to tell them so you don't harm anyone so you can get the help you need to get well. If you don't how can they help you fully
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you cannot talk about what is going on, can you write it down and read it to them...therapists can only treat what is presented to them...also, have you discussed talking to a pdoc re medication? Please advocate for yourself so that you can feel more deserve to feel better!!! Big hugs, J
  4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

You are certainly not alone in feeling this way, I only tell my psychiatrist about 60% of what is going on in my head, including hearing my voices.

Psychosis is easily managed with medication, if you can live with the side effects. I stop taking my meds at least once a year and because I usually relapse within a week, I usually end of hospitalised. My reason for not talking about my voices is they don't like me talking about them to others.

If you try and be as honest as possible (easier said than done), it will demonstrate your desire to manage your condition and it is most likely you would be treated as an outpatient rather than be sectioned. All said and done, being sectioned is not the end of the world, you will just be bored out of your head as there is nothing to do whilst on a psychiatric ward.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.