Thyroid and depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morfea, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Here I am again after a year, with the same problem, depression and suicide thoughts. Not that it's a problem for me, I'd end it now if it weren't for my kids, but that's for another thread. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over a year ago and was told that depression is one of the symptoms, searched on the internet, joined a few thyroid forums and they all confirmed it. Thyroid meds haven't helped me much, and, sadly, lots of thyroid patients are dissatisfied with their doctors and treating the symptoms. I was wondering if anyone here has the same problem, and also wanted to share the information since it's estimated that more than half of the thyroid related problems are not treated because people are not aware of the connection between various symptoms and the thyroid.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No i have not be assessed by my other family members have and are both on thyroid medication along with antidepressants. Don't know really if it helps them but the doctor thinks it will.

3. morfea

It's really a good idea to check the thyroid for anyone who struggles with depression, especially those who have family members with thyroid condition. Hope it helps yours.

4. total eclipse

Maybe next time i am at doc i will get him to do some test take care

5. morfea

Thanks hunny, you too :hugtackles:

6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Is there a way you can switch doctors? I hope you feel better soon.

7. revoltra

revoltra Well-Known Member

I was tested for ir when i first saw my doctor after i od'd. He had told my mother at the time (not me,eventhough i was 18) that one of the symptoms were depression. She liked that idea more cause then it was a real "medical" reason. My thyroid was normal, but he still gave me meds for it which is a little weird so i stopped taking them after a week because off all the side effects and the fact that i never needed them in the first place.

8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I have always suffered with depression but only had hypothyroidism diagnosed for 2 years now...had it for quite a few years (maybe 3-4) though before diagnosis..
    apparently the test can give false negatives a lot..

9. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

i was born with it and when my TSH levels drop my mental health is hugely compromised. realising the correlation lead me to have a buddha moment when i realised this is beyond my thoughts - it's not me. my feelings are a result of something physical. they are not 'real', only symptons of somethign else. ponder ponder.
    get a good endocrinologist.

10. morfea

Good doctors are easy to find... when there's money. I can't switch doctors, can only try to talk to mine and see if he's willing to listen to my questions and suggestions since he's mostly interested in lab results and not in my symptoms. So much info and advice on the internet, I'm not sure if it's a curse or a blessing. I realy liked the idea that depression is caused by the "medical" reason, although I had it before and didn't have these other problems, but medical or not, seems that depression hits just as hard and leaves me just as confused as before.
    Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

11. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 6, and have been on meds for it ever since. I've suffered with depression for as long as I can remember, but have never considered there to be a link, as I've never had a problem with my thyroxine.

Mim

12. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My experience with hypothyroidism is that it never had any noticeable effect on my depression. I am susceptible to the cold and have very little eyebrow hair but that is all I seem to notice of the condition.

Morfea, if your tap water has relatively high amounts of fluoride try drinking bottled water. Excess fluoride intake interferes with the function of the thyroid gland- my TSH levels would skyrocket during the hot weather because I was drinking much more tap water.

Another thyroid suppressing chemical coming under attention is the very common Triclosan in many antibacterial products. http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/05/dangers-lurk-in-your-antibacterial-soap/

13. total eclipse

Thanks for the link funny i too have thinning eyebrows did not know that was a sign of hypothyroidism thought it was just old age lol

14. morfea

Madam Mim, I don't know the exact statistics, but in every test for hypothyrodism I've seen one of the first questions is: Do you fell depressed?
    Denis, I've heard of the link between tap water and hypothyroid, it's mentioned often. Didn't know about the danger of antibacterial products, thank you for the link. :)
    Violet, I hope you make that test, to eliminate any suspicion.
    Hugs to everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.