1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thyroid issues?

Discussion in 'Life Changing or Long Term Physical Illness' started by Claire_from_Canada, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Claire_from_Canada

Claire_from_Canada Well-Known Member

Anyone been to an endocrinologist? After years of depressive symptoms, my family doc is sending me to one, says my tests indicate some hormonal issues. I don't know what to expect so I figured id ask if anyone else has done this stuff?

2. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

Depression can be one of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid Claire. But there's other symptoms associated as well. Wondering if you've been experiencing any of the following which may be indicative of hypothyroidism:

Diagnosis is carried by straight forward blood test looking for levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroxine (T4) . A high level of TSH and low T4 level could mean an underactive thyroid.

Just as a thought, certain prescribed medications may cause the thyroid gland to become underactive.

Best of luck anyhow, hope you'll be able to find the root cause of this and so be able to start appropriate treatment if required.

3. Lulabelle

Lulabelle SF Supporter

Hi Claire

I have an underactive thyroid. It was picked up 21 years ago after the birth of my first child. It's been managed all this time by my GP but I finally have an appointment with an endocrinologist in January 2018 so it will be interesting to see what he says.

In addition to the tests @Ash600 mentioned, it's important to also test T3. This is the active thyroid hormone our bodies use. It is converted from T4 which is like a storage hormone. Many people find their bodies do not convert T4 into T3 adequately so no matter how much levothyroxine you're prescribed (synthetic T4, standard treatment for hypothyroidism) you don't get the benefit.

4. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

5. Flying Fox

Flying Fox SF Supporter

For the past decade and a half my thyroid has been under-performing. Like Ash and Lulabelle said, it is important to get it checked as it does have a large impact on many aspects of your health. Out of all the medications I take, the medication for my hypothyroidism is the single most important one I have (not including insulin), even above the lexapro for my depression.