Time Person of the Year 2010: Mark Zuckerberg

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Dec 15, 2010.

Do you have, or ever had, an account on Facebook?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
  2. No

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Woop woop, my crush! :heart:

Are you on the Facebook?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  2. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

It should have been Julian Assange.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I agree.

While Facebook is supremely popular, I don't think popularity equates to importance in this case: any one of the dozens of social networking platforms out there would take its place in no time if it were to vanish.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Didn't time name Moot (The admin responsible for 4chan) as the worlds most influential person last year?
    What does that tell you.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They did not. They named Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the United States Federal Reserve, last year. They like American politicians, no surprise there, being American.
  6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

If memory serves, that was just the result of an online poll. So Time asked the internet who should be the person of the year, and the internet said "Moot." No big surprises there.

They also manipulated the results such that the the first letter of each name on the list spelled out "MARBLECAKE. ALSO, THE GAME." As much as I think Time is completely irrelevant and full of crap for the most part nowadays, we can rest assured: at least they're not 4chan.
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Mark Zuckerberg joins many other worthy reciptants, such as Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin!!!

I'm not on facebook, never have and never will.
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think picking Zuckerberg was a great decision, and that the only other viable alternative was 'the unemployed American'. These were the only two things that really mattered this year, culturally, in my opinion. And as for the popularity of Facebook supposedly not being worthy of any recognition, I disagree. I think Facebook is a seminal aspect of the last decade and changed the way people connect and communicate with one another, which will last for many decades to come; that in addition to the biggest and highest acclaimed movie of the year being based entirely on the birth of this social network revolving around Zuckerberg... oh yeah, he's definitely become the biggest and most influential staple in American culture this year, like it or not.

Also a $100,000,000 dollar gift to the Newark public school system as well. :yes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.