Time speant without sleep

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by philio, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Whats the longest you have gone without any sleep... for me it's 4 days

had a few coursework deadlines on the same day, and not sleeping seemed like a good idea:sad:
  2. Smythe

Smythe Well-Known Member

70 hours, but thats greyhounds fault. cross country trip and I couldn't sleep
    with all those people around me. I wont do that again :p there's a lot to be
    said for flying :tongue:

(lol, your avatar made me laugh by the way)
  3. on my own

on my own Well-Known Member

think I made it to 76 hours once.. but that's a while ago...

I pull all nighters on a regular base though
  4. philio

philio Well-Known Member

so do i... most of the time its because i've left some work till the last minute
  5. Syd

Syd Guest

Some years ago, I used to get these periods of chronic insomnia. The worst cases happened at age 18, and another time at age 19. The longest I endured was being awake for 7 days, and I had to work every day that week - as a cashier at the mall during the holidays! Hahaha. The other time was when I worked for UPS, and had to drink Red Bull constantly. I laugh about it now, but it was like being on a bad acid trip. I didn't hallucinate, but I had the emotional stress of a child - I was scared of the dark for example. Hey, if you saw the things I saw, you wouldn't want to look into the dark either. ;P

Anyway, some years later I still have insomnia, though it has cooled down considerably. I generally sleep pretty regularly and deeply now, feeling pretty fantastic on most occasions. At age 23, my insomnia only lasts for 2 days at a time now, much milder than the days of my youth. I tend to have an extra-long period of sleep after such incidents, usually 12 hours of powerful sleep, sometimes with equally intense and vivid dreams. For the most part, I'm just a night-owl, meaning I sleep on a regular basis - it's just that I'm usually awake at night and asleep during the day. This changes depending on my insomnia, other times I sleep at night, so it all depends. I work as a freelance writer taking on projects from different employers, usually submitting fax or email attachments, so I'm not bound by a daily office commute or the regular nine to five schedule.

Insomnia is wonderful, I think. I guess I'm one of the few with that outlook on the situation. I love the 'high' I get from being in overdrive, too hyper to sleep. It's the perfect state of mind for artists - the creative process comes alive when the mind is floating midway between dreams and reality. Plus, there are many places (NYC for example) where the night-life culture is perfect for insomniacs.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  6. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

Sometimes insomnia is cool b/c I'll work on a project or something and think, "if I'm working while others are sleeping that makes me better than them"...lol :biggrin:

But usually insomnia just sucks. :sad: Mine comes out of paranoia more than anything. I keep thinking I'm missing something. Even on good nights I'll wake up every couple of hours to turn on the news. Hey, if the world is gonna implode on itself I'd really like to receive confirmation of such ASAP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.