time to get a job!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shock, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone feel really uncomforatble with the idea of going out and getting a job?

It really embarassing. it scares me shitless! i very close to finishing my diploma but i just am so afraid of gettin a job for some reason!

i think it could be one of these things:
    1. afraid of change
    2. afraid of resposibility and 'getting serious'
    3. afraid of not be quilified enough for the job i get
    4. afraid of lossing the freedom and time i have now (as a student)

i think its more the last one.

anyone else feel this way?

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I felt that way, but if you find something you love to do and prepare yourself accordingly, it's like not even having a job. I love what I do :)
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I cringe at the thought of working. I have a job now that I work 12-20 hours a week at. Every day that I have work I cringe. All thoughts about the future having job I cringe. Really have to find something you love. Otherwise there's no point.
  4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

haha yes!! It is incrediably scary - i'm still a child (well....:laugh:), what's all this about me getting older and having to get a job??! Not happy :wink: But, the blessing is, i actually don't know one person that IS ready, so i figure...at least we're all in the same boat. I think the key is finding a career you're passionate about but also knowing that the first few yrs jobs are a matter of finding your feet and learning yet more! ahhh! Don't worry i'm all words and no action! No job as yet. eek!
    best of luck!
  5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

go for a masters or a doctorate. then your job is to be a student.
  6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think sometimes the fear of getting a job is not so much the job itself, but the process. Applying, facing rejectionor applying, being hired and not being able to work up to their satisfaction. So much of it centers around failure. You do have a different type of freedom as a student, but you still had obligations that had to be fulfilled. That is not so different from a job. I know many college students have a quite liberal schedule, but i was never that lucky. I actually put in less hours working full time than I did as a student :)
  7. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Wow, I totally agree Shock! I am very scared of getting a job. Only one I have had is part-time as a paraprofessional at the local school district, very easy job.

I hope I can manage, given that I am immature, inferior to everyone, not as developed, very sheltered and spend time at home instead of outside to learn and gain experiences. This is why I am scared. I haven't gone out like others and so when I do go out, it will be an extremely frightening and jarring experience for me.

I am so scared of graduating college and no longer being a student as I have my whole life now. I am so afraid of my future. :sad::unsure:
  8. the idea of getting a job also scares me to death... litteraly. lol. i know my days going to come though, 18s right around the corner.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.