tips for calming down

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by aki, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

any? please.....
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

touch. massage your skin. it's calmed me down a lot. things like giving yourself a massage can help. self harm is about contact- skin-to sharp object contact, and you can get that kind of contact in another way which can calm you down.

other ways of contact - touching your surroundings, cutting things that aren't you, using another object as yourself to get out whatever it is you want to get out...

it depends on what your feelings are at the moment. if it's rage- then maybe a combination of both would help- contact with something external as well as yourself.
  3. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I wish I had something worth while but that is what leads me to SH so I'm not full of ideas.

The only other thing that helps is walking my dogs. I feel sort of free. I put on my headphones, leash up the dog, and walk until I can't anymore.
  4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

You could try running - not exactly calming in the literal sense but i find running very stress reducing. Or baking something like a cake...having your mind focused on only one task can be calming. Maybe i'm slightly strange but i need active thing to help me calm down, maybe because i'm usually very, very agitated when i want to sh so trying to lie still and listen to music is pretty much impossible for me. :dry: I hope people respond to you because i'd welcome some more calming tips too as obviously you can't run and bake all the time :wink:
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i try deep breathing and relaxation exercises, also fast walking. writing down my feelings. sometimes i write from the point of view of my scars: i ask 'em what it is they want to say... and then i let 'em speak directly. sometimes i write a letter to myself.

how are you feeling now?
  6. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I listen to music. That often calms me down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.