1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for losing weight at a healthy rate

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I tried, I failed,I tried, I failed,I tried, I failed,I tried, I failed.....

yup thats the story so far. I am obese and need help losing weight. There are some amazing folks here willing to help me but i'd like to ask what are your best tips for dieting and exercising. I want to fly to the UK (or somewhere else) late this year and want the seat belt to fit. sounds funny right? but yeah last time had to get an extension. Any help advice tips tricks, appreciated a lot :)

I can lose weight, I am able to but I have so much to lose that is hard, I keep going back to my old ways. My psych told me I am going to get a heart attack if I do not lose weight. I don't want this to kill me, i might get away with it in my 20's but won't in my thirties.

Any help is appreciated :) Thanks in advance

2. Innocent Forever

Innocent Forever Go as long as you can. And then take another step. Chat Pro SF Supporter

Doesn't sound strange at all @Petal
    I hate that nothing's worked :( and I know you've been to so many people.
    I can't think of anything really.
    One random thing I once heard is to change the type of exercise you're doing every so often and to change your diet/food plan to include different types of food. For the change helps metabolism change or something like that.

What do your GP/nurse/nutritionist say about it?

What's worked for you up until now?

I think it's also a shift in thinking, meaning that it may help if it's not about restricting, but about living a healthy life. If the focus is on living a healthy life, which includes getting enough sleep, not eating after 7/8pm some people say no drinking 10/20 minutes before meals and not after for an hour. Chewing food slowly and enjoying teh food, checking in with yourself every so often whether you're hungry (I try to enjoy my food now, for the sake of healthy eating, and I do find that I eat a little less. If the focus were on eating less I wouldn't do it, if it's on enjoying the food I do. Although most the time I forget).

Sending bear hugs your way...

Petal likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Would looking at food like an addiction help?

DrownedFishOnFire and Petal like this.
  4. Kathie Sunflower

Kathie Sunflower Well-Known Member

I think it is important to find a sustainable solution :)
    A way of eating where you do not feel restricted, have enough energy for your daily life, while not overdoing it.
    And find activites you like, and do them regularly. It won't help if you have to force yourself to do a certain exercise or so, because at some point you'd lose motivation and it's no fun. :)
    Try different things, find something you enjoy.
    Good luck!

Mremptyinside and Petal like this.
  5. Petal

My GP actually said the same thing as my psych said that I'm going to get a heart attack and prescribed xenical (it had god awful side effects too bad to mention lol) other than that she's told me to eat a large breakfast but then as the day goes on my medications make me hungry. It's a catch 22.

My nurse basically said im not trying hard enough. But she is willing to keep an eye on my weight for as long as I want. I lost 4kg (9lbs) in Jan but definitely have put it back on.

Going to a nutritionist next month. Dunno how she will be able to help but it is worth a visit to check it out as maybe I am looking at things in the wrong light.

Thank you - that's my issue I find exercising boring, need to find something that interests me. I enjoy the cycle bike machine so might use that for primary exercise. I like the rower too.

What worked for me before? Logging everything I ate, literally everything in a private diary on here. And having someone to go on walks with. I suppose I could do that again :)

Than you all =)

6. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

You've probably been made aware of this link already, but just in case Petal,

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/successful-diet-tips.aspx

hopefully there'll be something there which you can find useful.

Also, building on from what Inno has mentioned about chewing food slowly. Taking your time eating is important as it takes around 20 minutes for your brain to register and hence send out signals that you are full when eating. Some also suggest drink 1-2 glasses of water before you eat so as to accelerate the sensation of satiety.

By the way, I think I know what side effects you are talking about which are just too damn nasty to mention here.:eek:

Petal likes this.
  7. Anttmel

Anttmel Well-Known Member

Hi Petal
    I am probably the last person who should offer advice. I am overweight, don’t care and don’t particularly want to lose weight - for now. I think this is a deeper issue for me. I know that to lose weight I need to eat healthier and exercise more. Right now I am completely resistant to those ideas. I will keep working on my resistance in therapy and perhaps one day will want to lose weight.

But - in the meantime. I have doctors who seem to think I am desperate to lose weight. One thing that was suggested was surgery (not wise for me since I don’t yet want to change my behaviour). Another was a daily injectable medication (Saxenda?). The dr cheerfully told me 90% of people experience nausea - but that means 10% don’t. Personally not something I want to risk. But apparently the weight “just melts off”.

Perhaps a less drastic measure. I was seeing a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine for a terrible respiratory virus. His website mentioned weight loss treatments. He said that accupuncture can help with cravings and increase metabolism. It will help you lose some weight but not all. You still need to work at it. This seems a more sensible plan to me. I might look at it myself if/when I am ready to make some life style changes.

I hope you find the help you are looking for.
    Hugs
    Mel

Petal likes this.
  8. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Giving up sugar was probably the fastest and easiest way for me to lose weight.

Sugar is like an addiction for me though, so I have relapses every now and then, but most of the time I'm able to stay away from it, and not let sugar binges get out of hand.

Long periods of sitting or inactivity can make you gain weight, so it's important to get up and have about 5 minutes of standing or moving for every 30 minutes of inactivity.

There might be a few more things I could say. I wonder if you could say some more about what you've tried and what happened, and what sort of food are in your current diet.

You are such a treasure Petal, I want you to live for a very long time to come.

MagickLynx and Petal like this.
  9. Petal

No I was not made aware of that link previously, but I have just read through it, I like the part about ''knowing your labels''. I am sure I can learn from that, thanks for sharing the link.

I will try this, starting today, and I will let you know how it goes :)

oh god, no nothing I would want to try as I suffer fro nausea from anxiety anyway.

wow I might do some further looking into this, it looks promising.

Let me know how you get on with it when you decide the time is right for you please :)

I think sugar is an addiction to a lot of people as 1 in 3 people are over weight or obese, i do like chocolate but only really crave it when meds make me hungry.

Awwww thank you, you are so sweet, I will do my best :)

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  10. Singularity Platy

Singularity Platy Well-Known Member

Do you 'yo-yo diet' Petal? Do you diet and then binge? The 'tried, failed, tried, failed' sounds like you would try to diet or restrict and then swing back to binging. What really helped me out of that cycle is a Facebook group called 'Eating the food'. It promotes a more sustainable way to lose weight gradually such as healthy habits (eating more green, exercising such as lifting weight, etc) instead of dieting or restricting which can cause to binging, eating disorder, etc. Taking small but consistent steps is the key. Focusing on being healthy and strong rather than on losing weight is also another key.

11. burning-fairy

burning-fairy Member

I don't know much about weight loss because I never faced problems with my weight but I know some tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and maybe that can help you as well. :)
    • Avoid soda and stick to water.
      I myself like to drink some diet coke now and then but otherwise, I love to drink water because it makes me feel refreshed.
    • Don't skip meals.
      I try to get regular meals, at least three a day so I won't get cravings.
    • Set realistic goals for yourself.
      It's better to take small steps and take your time.
    • Try to sleep enough.
      I know that it can be really hard to get enough sleep but it's important.
    • Walk whenever possible.
      It's tempting to take the car but don't take it when you can walk instead.
    • Eat slowly.
      You will get fuller soon and you can really appreciate the taste.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you're continuing your journey. :)

Innocent Forever and Petal like this.
  12. Petal

Thank you very much, I will take some of these on board such as appreciating the taste :) I do like to drink a lot of diet drinks but im trying to drink more water :)
    I will eat slowly, thanks =) Also won't skip meals, just past 6:30am and already had my breakfast of porridge and yogurt :)

burning-fairy likes this.
  13. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Seeing is Believing Forum Pro SF Supporter

Just read somewhere that there is a correlation to weight and the amount of time given chewing food to break it down. The less the person chewed the more weight they likely weighted vs a peer that chewed their food more before swallowing and the person who spent time savoring the food before swallowing was more likely to feel more full/satisfied earlier

Never paid attention to this until recently and I have been inhaling my food and have been trying to slow down when I am eating and have noticed I am fuller when I am eating slowly.

Innocent Forever and Petal like this.
  14. Aprilflowers7

Aprilflowers7 Well-Known Member

One thing I have done is I have stopped drinking so much regular pop. Usually it was a need to do something that made me want to buy pop, because I don't have anything else to do, like I would walk to the store and buy a bottle of pop and walk back to my apartment again, because I didn't feel like getting alcohol or going to a bar where people would stare at me and make comments or no one would talk to me and think I'm invisible. Like I could find a ride to a bar anyhow.

But after I stopped drinking regular pop, I lost four pounds. Diet Coke has a couple of new flavors and they are pretty good. I used to use a blender a lot but the fruit was so expensive. I also exercise sometimes, but not as much as I should and I will start doing more of that in the summertime. I am on the bridge card and it is like, how can I afford so much fruit and vegetables per month?! There's no way.

Innocent Forever likes this.
  15. Petal

@Aprilflowers7 Well done for losing the four pounds.

What is a bridge card?

As for the fruit and vegetables, is there no discount food store near where you live?

16. Aprilflowers7

A bridge card is also known as the EBT card where you can buy free food from the grocery store. It is very much like a debit card. But you have to have a low-income. I applied for it through DHS (Department of Human Services) I think. A single person can get almost $200 a month, but it varies, depending on how much money you have and/or how many people live in your house. Even if you just work part-time, you could still probably get it. My brother is also on welfare and he gets it, too, but I don't know how much money he gets because he has three children and a wife.

The only place nearby is a Family Dollar and I do not like their bread because it looks stale to me. I usually go to Walmart and that is still expensive. There are cheaper places to go to but they are much farther away and I have to get rides to the store. The only coupons I get in the mail are pizza coupons.

17. Petal

Oh I see. I understand now, that is unfortunate that the healthy foods are more expensive, here in europe fruit and veg are cheap, well no more expensive than other foods. I hope you can still find a way to lose the weight you want :)

18. Aprilflowers7

Thanks! I'm going to try to walk more this summer, since I can't afford a treadmill, but maybe that will help anyway. Sometimes I wonder if my heart problem can affect my dieting, and I don't know if diet pills would work because many people say you just gain the weight again. Sometimes I do exercises on the floor.

Many states have food pantries but the food doesn't seem to be very healthy. A lot of the vegetables are canned.

My heart doctor is a man so I don't know if he can answer questions about dieting.

19. Petal

No - stay away from the diet pills, they are fads and bad for you in my experience.

Walking is great and great for the heart.

I'm sure your heart doctor could give you advice on your weight loss. It doesn't matter what gender your doctor is, they are there to help you :)

20. Aprilflowers7

He was the one who mentioned my weight in the first place, because he said the pills I am taking can affect my weight. So how can I lose weight if I am on a certain medication? I thought about switching my medication, but I don't know if he would go for that. Although sometimes I do eat donuts and things like that, which isn't really helping, but I just eat junk food because I like it and because when I walk to go get it is something to do or it is cheaper than vegetables, like two donuts is cheaper than a bag of vegetables. I like carrots and ranch and things like that, but like I said, it's so expensive.