tips to stop with my comfort eating?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by the masked depressant, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

how can i stop... this is not right

i'm eating more and more and more. more than i need

and it's like when i try to tell myself i don't need it, i can't listen to myself and have it anyway
  2. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Try drinking lot's of water and eating fruit/vegetables snacks instead ?
    Or try to keep yourself busy with some activity so you are less likely to start eating, sports, just walking(with a dog if you have one or by yourself)...
    Just making sure you don't have too many candy etc. in the house also makes it less easy to keep eating.
    Talking to someone with the same problem might help a bit too ?
    Just some thoughts of me.

I hope you'll find a way to control it
  3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Keep busy and avoid being alone. Get the food out of the house and out of reach except for vegetables. Those are the most practical things I have to offer. Do something regularly that makes you proud of yourself, then you'll be full already. the last one might be hard, I know.
  4. NightPetals

NightPetals Active Member

Go and hang out with some friends, take a walk or a nap. Socialization helps. :)
  5. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Do you think you could figure out your triggers?

Someone told me once that when a person binge eats, they aren't trying to be destructive, but instead are desperately trying to help themselves. Obviously, in the long run its not helpful (mental health-wise, physical health-wise, financially..) but for some reason, in the short term it makes the person feel better. Do you relate to this? Because if you do, I think that it would definitely help to try to identify the trigger (are you feeling anxious? lonely? depressed?). Once you can figure out what the binging is doing for you, you can take positive steps towards replacing the behavior with healthier behaviors that could give you the same effect. (Lonely? - socialize. Anxious? - self soothe, etc etc)

If you ever want to talk, I think I can kinda relate to what you're going through. I go back and forth between binge eating, bulimia, and periods of normal (ish) eating.

Binging is difficult to come to terms with, because I think for a lot of us it feels so shameful. But I think the number 1 thing you can do for yourself is to be gentle with yourself, and remember that you're doing this because you're trying to help yourself cope. good luck
  6. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

thanks alison.

i am glad you replied- it means a lot
  7. MissMisery

MissMisery Well-Known Member

It is difficult to listen to our rational side.
    I've struggled with binge eating and purging for too long now.
    Despite inpatient treatments sections near death experiences no matter wat happens to me its all I think about!

Its an addiction simple as tht.
    It costs money and it destroys you, tht short term fix followed by the aftermath

I can't say I have any tips on how to stop, find the root cause and seek it out.
    Next time u get an urge take a step back and calm down inside then try to distract make a coffee and write down how you feel instead of pushing it down with food!

pm me if u ever need to chat:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.