1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by RCee, Feb 23, 2018.

1. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

The constant what ifs and should haves and overthinking.

The emotional rollercoaster that keeps me and others awake!

Brain overload racing!

Besides the Self Medicating!

What are the little things that help get you to slumber land

What calms you down to at least a partial standstill

Even if it's Unconventional.....What works for you??

Hopefully this will help me and others even if it's just to get a little bit closer to that relaxation we all so desperately search for at times and possibly quiet that I search for even for just a moment.

2. JustLovely

JustLovely Wants to become a cat

There are a few things I try when I can't sleep.
    - the body scan relaxation - either guided or not but guided works better for me
    - listening to guided meditations - there are loads of guided sleep meditations for various purposes you can find for free on the Internet
    - prayer. I honestly have no idea why this works for me, I'm not a believer but I used to pray a lot when I was a child because my family is. Sometimes repeating the familiar verses puts me to sleep quite quickly.
    - drink a warm relaxing drink before sleep. I usually drink warm milk or melissa herb tea. I do not say this would help with insomnia but it does help your body relax a bit.

RCee likes this.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

turning off all the noises around me the computer phone etc Sit watching fire burn in fire place just concentrating on that and feeling the heat from it helps.

RCee likes this.
  4. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

I think about homeless people and how they would love to be in my queen bed rather than in a sleeping bag on the street.

Petal and RCee like this.
  5. JustLovely

JustLovely Wants to become a cat

Oh one more thing! Using earplugs helps me fall asleep too. It mutes the surroundings and you can hear the sound of your blood (I tjink) , it's quite relaxing

6. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

Guided meditations do put me into a trance like state funny tho all these years I always would listen to them or do meditation classes in beginning of day and not the end! I wonder why I never put 2 and 2 together

Melissa herb tea? Really! I will have to try that one I never really touched that herb heard of it but never delved in

7. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

I could see how that helps just thinking about being out in the elements and loneliness no matter what the situation one has at least there is a roof overhead here

8. RCee

RCee Well-Known Member

When I have had fireplaces it to has put me into a trance state especially when it rains wish I had one now, they do have those tv screen savers and ones on the computer and phone :)

9. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Blue light filter on my phone
    Warm milk or turkey

RCee likes this.
  10. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Yeah my nightmare is homelessness. So I lie in my bed and imagine I’m this homeless person who just got my house and bed, and how much I’d be loving it. I find if you can lie in bed and just enjoy it, without trying to sleep, you tend to fall asleep. It’s another one of those paradoxes :cool: