Tired of being tired

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by RockRchick13, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockRchick13

RockRchick13 Member

I can't sleep. Haven't been able to for some time now. I have prescription sleeping pills but sometimes they don't work at all. So here I am. Have to get up and open gifts before going to Christmas Eve dinner at my aunts house plus I haven't been feeling well. It sucks and I'm so tired of being tired. When I do get to sleep I have crazy dreams and wake up at different times during the night. Nothing helps. Not yoga, not relaxing music, not pills, not a warm shower. Nothing. Just being on here till the wee hours and eventually wearing myself out. Any advice?

2. Syd

Syd Guest

I have the same problem as you, my mind tends to be overactive and won't always shut down when I want to sleep.

There are some medications I've tried which helped a little. Mirtazapine had positive effects on some nights. (better some than none) I'm planning to start a serious exercising routine for the new year, this will be combined with drinking more water and eating a lot of food (but mainly healthy food) and should all be expected to improve my sleeping and health in the long-term.

Insomnia often accompanies anxiety and depression. I'm going to be honest in saying that the best way to cut down on sleeping difficulties is probably to be truly loved, and to spread love in return. It takes time to trust others and overcome anxiety though, and it's something I need to work on as well. Those who feel accepted by family, peers and feel loved in a relationship tend to have the most peace of mind. There are sometimes exceptions and certain medical problems resulting in insomnia, but in most cases it's psychological.

Not all cases are the same though, and there are different degrees in each of us. If you choose to discuss this further, or if there are any specific questions, I'll do my part to help and contribute. I'll let you know if & when I discover any new solutions, since I'm going to be working on these issues myself. Good luck. :smile:

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Taking a shower that varies the temp sometimes can help. Turn the water on as hot as you can take for 5 min. Then go cold for 30 secs. and back to hot. Do the cycle 3 times and lie down for a minimum of 30 minutes. Worth a try. :hug:

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have found lucid dreaming to be very effective...fantasizing about a safe/ fun place or event and imagining myself in it...I am finding I need it less and less to fall asleep, and stay asleep for almost 6 hrs...truly better than nights of no sleep...plez let me know if you find anything else..in need of more zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's, Jackie

5. TLA

TLA Antiquitie's Friend

getting worn out physically helps me. Walking a lot or take up running if possible. Maybe just getting your mind and eyes to wear out for the day.
    Tell your doc and ask them for suggestions too. :sleep:
    (I do not know if you are on meds....if so, some anti-psychotics have sleep enhancements. That helps me to get to zzz land.
    Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.