To People who think suicide is selfish

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

People say suicide is selfish and cowardly. That's bullshit. It's more selfish to expect someone to go through life feeling like shit, just so you can keep them around because they make you happy or some shit. It is not they're duty to keep you happy whilst they go through hell, you people are the selfish one.

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Fair enough, I agree with you on some aspects. However, if you take circumstances out of the equation, suicide is indeed a 'selfish' act - you're ending your own life. With your (read as: people's) situations and circumstances in place however, then, as I say, I agree with you on some aspects..

I would be careful though, of tarring all with the same brush - those who perhaps want you to live, do not do so out of spite, but perhaps because they've been through a similar situation of yours themselves; granted, no two situations are ever exactly the same, but when we're in the pits of depression and despair, it can seem ridiculous that we could ever possibily feel better, or at least - not as low, however, a few hours / days / weeks later - we could see that that is in fact the case.

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

We're here on earth to work through our problems and grow and learn from them. Suicide is wrong because it cuts a life short, for a person that was meant to grow old, and maybe have children etc. It's selfish because your loved ones are left wondering, where did they go wrong and how they could have helped you if they only knew how much you were suffering. I guess it's also selfish to keep a person in suffering as you have said, but suicide is just not the answer.

4. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Nothing is selfish really. Nor suicide, nor death, nor life... Do whatever you want, just dont kill others.

5. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Suicide isn't selfish, but a lot of living is selfish.
    The way you live.... narcissism.
    Putting yourself first.

To be happy you have to think of others before you think of yourself.
    Just try to live by helping others.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Helping others is very good and is a great way to give purpose to one's life. But you have to help yourself too. You can't sacrifice your happiness, by putting others first. Once your happy, then you can help others to be happy too.

7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Well of course you should use logic when helping others but don't let yourself get carried away with everything you need or want.... because you will be consumed and wont help anyone but yourself.

8. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Suicide is only selfish is people care about you and will miss you. What's worse one person suffering or many people suffering because you decided to take your life? The only reason I haven't done it is because I'd rather see myself suffer than my parents suffer. Other than people suffering from your loss I don't think it is selfish at all.

9. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

While we all know that the act is selfish. People just can see any other alternative.

10. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Suicide is selfish. So? Everyone displays some selfishness in life, no one is a saint.

I don't think of myself as a selfish person. I rarely do anything that would be labelled as such. But at the same time, I don't particularly care if someone wants to label me selfish because of one decision. Sometimes we must put our own interests first.

Something like suicide will never earn the approval of others. And its not something we should expect to. In the end you have weigh for yourself the price paid by others for your actions. There is a scale of harm. Naturally in the case of suicide there is a huge difference between someone with nobody close to them and someone with young children in their care -- looking at the two opposite ends of the scale.

11. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i dont believe its selfish, life is the only thing we actually own! even our bodies are owned by the bastarding government! it is a choice, for people to think that your selfish for wanting to terminate it is absurd. if you can put forward a logical balanced argument for your own death then it should be allowed. as for living that is by far more selfish, we need food, water, attention, jobs, fuels etc all of which could be given to someone who has more need.
    There are arguments for both but my personal opinion is that it isnt selfish

12. Daze&Confused

Daze&Confused Antiquitie's Friend

A definition of selfish: Concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others

Suicide is not something i take lighty. I don't want to die, but find some way to live and find alittle happiness. But if i do decide to leave, it wont be selfish.
    I care about the people around me, and the pain it may cause.I have thought about how my death may effect them, and whether they'd blame thelmselves.

I can't speak for everyone, but i'm guessing most depressed people spend a great deal of time thinking about themselves and others, far more than so called normal people, and probably more than is good for them.

The act may appear selfish to those left behind. But for those leaving,it can seem the only choice left.

We belong to our friends and family and what gods if any we follow.
    But we also belong to ourselves.

Suicide isn't selfish, it's despair.

13. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

I think it's selfish. It's one of the reasons why i haven't done it. I couldn't bear to think of the pain it would cause for my family and friends (well friend), i'd just rather suffer myself and do the best i can to overcome it. I will not inflict suffering upon those i care about.

14. Mainax

Mainax Active Member

Very true

15. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

16. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I agree also. If you go through a rough patch and all of a sudden so shit with it and committ suicide than yeah to me that is selfish, but like me for example if you have been trying for many, many years there is no way in the world that it is selfish.

17. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Yeah but logic doesn't really come easily with depression...

18. TK0120

TK0120 New Member

I think it's selfish and extremely conceited for people to think anything a person decides to do has to do with them.

19. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

The thing is though in reality there's no actual way of telling if your life might actually get better..regardless of how shitty it's been for so many years. Do you see my point?

20. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, I see your point but do you see mine in that if you knew say two years from now your life would be better, but you are in so much pain right now that you can barely see living another day more less another two years on waiting for it to get better. So it is like for me I have been in so much pain for so long I cannot see myself continue waiting for my life to get better, even when it may never get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.