To the suicidal men

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by SadDude87, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

There seems to be a common trend here. Most of the guys who I have seen here are either late teens/early twenties and have had little sex, or are older guys 40+.

Although I know there are a plethora of issues which may affect us, each person different from the last I think it is possible that lower than usual levels of testosterone may be the uniting factor.

I know I was at my happiest when I was playing sport. Yes, the social ties that came with it helped no doubt. But I still had my ups and downs with friends. And regardless of how my social life was going, I always had sport. I had a drive, I was hungry. Each morning I woke up feeling great. It was like my mind was wired differently. I was in tip top shape, and even though I had the same problems then as I do now it didn't phase me nearly as much.

It is widely reported that low testosterone in men = lowered libido, low mood, low motivation and drive, loss of muscle mass etc. Basically the symptoms of a depressed individual. But which came first? Was the depression originally there and that in turn lowers testosterone making us feel worse, or has a gradual lowering of testosterone slowly turned us into a depressed bunch?

I don't know, but I am at my wits end. I am going to start playing sports again. And even if it isn't testosterone which is the problem, hopefully I'll make some friends along the way, which has never hurt anybody :)

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Maybe you should see your doctor and get a testosterone prescription?

3. ProperlyLast

ProperlyLast Active Member

Suicidal men are usually fairly deprived of sex. It isn't a coincidence, its nature, men are supposed to be the aggressors. When we get depressed, we withdraw.

I know for a fact that if you play more, get into sports, and run around and all that, you will increase your testosterone.

Testosterone root of depression? Maybe for some, but as much as there are few differences in how we feel when we become suicidal, how we became suicidal is worth a circus.

For me, having lots of sex vs. no sex didn't make me less depressed, or less consumed with self-loathing, it just gave me great periods of happiness and satisfaction as well. I mean, if you don't solve your real issues, the veils won't make them go away, they just might make it more bearable.

What might completely turn someone around is love. Love isn't really tied with sex. I know when I'm around my family I feel like a different person.

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm a 27 year old virgin and I couldn't be happier with my life. I have lots of friends and a good job. So not having sex doesn't make all men depressed.

5. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I think lowered testosterone levels would be a factor yeah, but it's only one of many. Some men have lower testosterone levels than others by default and lead perfectly happy lives, some dislike sports strongly but still have the drive to finish the work at the office and get ahead or have crazy sex with that girl they met at the club last week on a daily basis.

It's more sorting out your problems than anything else. Some think that if they were to get a girlfriend or get laid things would sudden get better because they would have more confidence in themselves or it would be some load off their shoulders but it doesn't work that way. You wake up the next morning thinking, "Holy crap, that was pretty damn amazing, I'm actually not a virgin anymore." Cool, you don't have to worry about that anymore, now what? The glaring issues don't go anywhere, if anything they get worse because there aren't any excuses for not facing them anymore.

On the other hand, if you sort out your life first, fix your problems, you become an individual that is very comfortable with him/herself. You're cheerful, easily, and why shouldn't you be? Everything is just dandy, the only things you have to deal with are the ones life has yet to toss at you and if you got through that crazy stuff before, what can't you possibly handle now? People feel good around cheerful people, everything else just falls into place.

6. SadDude87

I wouldn't be able to get/need a prescription. I would say I have normal - on the lower end of normal test levels. I am sure they used to be quite a lot higher though. Just thinking out loud.

I agree with you too Reki.

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I'm in my late 20's and play a hell of a lot of sport, (soccer and martial arts) I have a ridiculously high sex drive and have had a lot of sex in my life. My testosterone level is pretty high I reckon, but I'm still as rock bottomly depressed and suicidal as you can get. But then again, I have always been weird and complicated. Nothing ever makes sense with me, which in turn makes me even more depressed, it's like a vicious circle. :laugh:

Nice thread by the way.

8. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

WHY ARE YOU HERE???

9. Blackness

Blackness Guest

This is silly. so what we shoud encourage all the males on here or who are depressed/suicidal to have sex? You think that will up the levels of testosterone and therefore "fix" them? :rolleyes:

10. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

It's a pro-life forum, if you don't have anyone who's happy with life who's going to support it?

He's only giving his opinion on it and why he thinks so, he never said anyone else should do anything. It sounds like he's only trying to help. I'm not sure where the sex part popped up, I re-read his post and couldn't find anything saying sex increased testosterone levels. If his idea has some merit to it then increasing testosterone levels would, in fact, make some men feel better. He didn't say you had to have sex to do that or that it would fix problems, he talked about his past experience in sports and how it made things easier to cope with, despite the fact that things still existed to be coped with. What's so silly about that?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  11. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

It's a medical fact that increasing testosterone levels FOR THOSE THAT HAVE LOW LEVELS increases happiness, improves memory. It's an important hormone in the body--mother nature didn't just toss it into the mix for the hell of it.

12. ProperlyLast

ProperlyLast Active Member

I've seen you berating people on other threads for promoting sex. I suggest you not go campaigning around here.

Nobody even suggested having any sex. I specifically said it didn't really help, and so did the guy after me.

Sex can be a positive byproduct of a healthy life. It isn't a cure, it is a celebration. You can be happy with or without it. You can be sad with or without it.

13. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Now how do I begin to find out if my level is normal, low or what. Hospital blood test?

14. SadDude87

Just ask your doctor, he will refer you to a clinic where they perform a blood test. I am curious about my thyroid function and test levels so I am going to get tested when I find the time.

15. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

I'm a male in my mid 30s and I'm suicidal because of career failure and nothing related to relationships with women.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.