to those of you who dont celebrate christmas

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by oval, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

how do you feel during this time? ive just been wondering since christmas is all over the place and jumps at you from every corner. everyone tells you 'merry christmas' but not happy hanukkah or ramadan for example. so how do you guys feel about this?
  2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

come on i know you are out there and viewing this thread right now! :) so what do you think
  3. Well-Known Member

I celebrate xmas. It's just like Christmas without the religion.
  4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Well my family doesn't celebrate christmas in a religious sense. I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't actually celebrate it as a part of a religion. I think we treat it just as a time to give presents and bring the whole family together or something, lol.

It kinda pisses me off to tell the truth, about how much christmas shit is thrown around. Like it's all blown over in 3 days and the shops start selling crap for Easter :dry:.

It would suck though if you followed something that had different beliefs to christmas.
  5. Cute_Angel_Xx

Cute_Angel_Xx Account Closed

I feel really odd to be honest and sort of left out, like when my friends are all talking about what they've got and all that I feel so indifferent so left out like I don't belong, I'm a muslim, I celebrate Ramadan which dates changes every year. I guess....I just feel wierd....

We live in a area with english people you would go past down our road eevery house decorated just left is ours people would say cant you afford christmas stuff and all that shit ......
  6. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

when ppl say merry christmas to me, i reply with "merry winter"...and then they remember...haha...

and yeah...i don't get any presents or anything...i was born and raised in the united states, but christmas is a normal day for me...when i was in college, i tried to fly to my parents on christmas day, so i wouldn't be so bored...when i was in high school, i would volunteer to work on christmas day...and now, i'm in med school close to home, i'm not allowed to work, so christmas is a normal day, just like any other day, but MUCH more boring...b/c nothing good is on tv except the SAME christmas movies that are on every year, or the SAME christmas episode of every tv addition, almost EVERYTHING is closed, so i can't even go anywhere...and obviously, everyone is with their families, so i spend the day alone...

so i guess, i mostly feel very bored...and as long as people are understanding and open minded, it's all good...when they're ignorant, i get a little angry, but i'm REALLY REALLY used to it, cuz i've been dealing with racism and ignorance for 23 years (most of my life, except maybe about a year, i have lived in small town midwest...a town so small we don't have a walmart, or any other big store, but we have TEN churches...WTF?)

...and i do feel left out a little...more importantly, though, i wish i lived in my own country (india) so that i could celebrate MY HOLIDAYS, such as diwali or holi, the way they're meant to be celebrated...i have missed the AMERICAN VERSION of diwali (not even close to what it is in india) for the past 5 years b/c i've been in college, and midterms ALWAYS fall during diwali, so i don't have time to celebrate...i have never in my entire life properly celebrated holi (a holiday during which we throw colored powder at each other...i know it sounds ridiculous), i'm 23, and it definitely won't be as much fun as it would've if i could've celebrated as a kid, but i would still like to see it one day...

so basically, it's like i don't get to celebrate any holidays, and i feel like i'm SERIOUSLY missing out...otherwise, no big deal... :)
  7. victor

victor Account Closed

im sorry, smartie, didnt see this thread before. ramadan is cool tho:D
  8. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i always greet people with happy saternalia, most people look confused however.
  9. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Is it really that big of an issue? I can't even imagine getting all worked up over someone wishing me a happy [holiday I don't celebrate]. Just wish them the same in return, and move on. I see far too many people (usually teenage atheists, for some reason) completely losing their shit over someone wishing them a Merry Christmas, or conversely, wishing them a Merry Anything Else.
  10. victor

victor Account Closed

very good point
  11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think in a Christian-dominated nation, it's typical to expect the majority of people to say Merry Christmas rather than Happy Ramadan or however it's spelled. Nothing strange or mean about it at all.
  12. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

it's not a big issue...not at all...i take it very lightly and make it into something funny...i send hanukah cards to my best friend's extremely christian family...

but, i know a lot of other "youth" take it offensively because it's basically a version of the current social the 70's, in the USA, it was a peace movement...before that, it was civil rights...right now, the youth movement is equality (the way i see it) marriage is probably the most obvious issue...but additionally, religious equality is there...i spent four years in NYC, and by no means is NYC a representative of the USA, but it's the liberal social movement in serious NYC, christianity is probably the most ridiculed religion from what i gathered...there was an article (i can't find it), i think in NY TIMES or on BBC, which addressed talked about how christianity, the MAJORITY, is being almost persecuted...makes no sense, b/c it's the majority, but it's happening...and i've seen it in NYC...

so it's only a big deal to the atheist teenagers b/c they want equality for all religions/sexual orientation/races/etc and this is their version of protest...this generation fails at protesting, but i think we're trying to live by it...i know i am...
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled that no one wishes me a happy Hannukah or Ramadan. I wish no one would wish me merry Christmas. It's jarring to me... I guess I celebrated Christmas this year, with another family, though it didn't feel very Christmassy, the last two years I skipped it altogether.
  14. deferred dream

deferred dream Well-Known Member

I get a bit down during Christmas. My family kind of celebrates, but we're all so unhappy together, we are a very broken family, so all it manages to do is get me more down because I envy other people who get to have happy family togetherness, regardless of religion or what they're celebrating. Christmas is the worst because my mom complains endlessly about money, but any major family gathering holiday bums me out a bit.
  15. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Seasonal greetings of any kind can be very painful for a depressed person. I learned to let it go and say thank you. No sense in making a mountain out of a molehill.
  16. Raven

Raven Guest

Eh I celebrate the solstice, Christmas is a bunch of bullshit anyways, it’s just one giant consumer holiday where we pay homage by racking up credit card debt to our eyeballs.
  17. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Well said!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.