Tocophobia and contraceptive advice URGENTLY NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by A_pixie, Mar 27, 2010.

1. A_pixie

A_pixie Well-Known Member

Condom broke, was on period at the time, used the morning after pill the next day and period started AGAIN the follwing and bled for a week! (apologies for the grossness) Why did that happen??

How likely is it that I'm pregnant (PS I suffer from tocophobia - intense and irrational fear of becoming pregnant) this was a month ago and no period yet....

Has anyone else been through this I am going out of my mind with worry and anxiety attacks have started again ;(

I need advice! PLEASE!!!!!

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I will tell you what I know medically and from personal experience.

1- Hard to get pregnant during your period as you the egg is older by that point and not alive.

2- The morning after pill is pretty damn effective.

3- It takes awhile for your period to get back to normal after the morning after pill and various bleeding patterns do occur.

Can you purchase an over the counter pregnancy test? That would help you to know and most likely it is negative so you will no longer worry.

Hope this helps B

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You're unlikely to be pregnant but go see your doctor to put your mind at ease if you feel you need to. :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  4. A_pixie

Thanks for the responses guys, there is no way I am ready for a kid yet!

I have another question which may get me a real lecture but does regular cocaine, ecstacy and alcohol use do something to your period regularity? I've lost weight because of it as I'm bulimic as well maybe that's effected my cycle as well as the morning after pill?

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I know meth messes with your period from what friends tell me but when I was way coked out I was so damn skinny I stopped getting my period so it was not the coke directly

6. A_pixie

Ah I see....I've lost weight yeah I know that effects it but I'm not sure if my sudden change of lifestyle has had something to do with it also!

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you also go onto birth control if you're so worried about pregnancy. I don't even know what to say about cocaine use.

8. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

An IUD/coil might be a good idea. As far as I know they're very, very effective and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take it, as you might with the pill. Or you can use another thing that I don't really know a lot about.. its a dome-shaped device called a Diaphragm that I've been told can be used along with spermacides and it also very effective?

Go to your doctor and have a chat with them about your options - they're really nice and helpful. When I went to go on the pill, they discussed lots of other options with me anyway. Our legal age here is 16 and as I was 16 at the time and my boyfriend was two years older than me, they did ask a few questions mostly just to see is psychologically I was ready for sex but they can't refuse to give you advice anyway I don't think.

If you're considering the pill, you need to go for regular blood-pressure tests. They will be reluctant to give you the pill if you are overweight, have a family history of breast cancer, are over 45 years of age or are considered to be at a high risk of having blood clots.

This site has lots of information that might help you :)

9. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I was on the needle (depo provera) for 3 years and my boyfriend and I hardly ever used protection... because we were stupid. lol- but the needle seemed to work wonderfully for me.
    One shot is good for 3 months, and you don't get a period until the end of the 3 months. If you want to continue with the needle- you can take it right before your period starts- to avoid the whole thing.

It worked fine for me, but continue using contraceptives if you're scared about getting pregnant-- no matter what.

take care!

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Combining two forms will offer almost complete protection, and even those who are not tocophobic should really do so.

11. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

If you’re that worried take a pregnancy test! You are very unlikely to get pregnant on your period, but sperm can live inside you for seven days so if you were at the end of your period you could still get pregnant, however, since you took an ECP this is VERY unlikely. The bleeding you experienced after taking the ECP means that even in the unlikely event of fertilization occurring, the egg would not have implanted in your womb.

Any stress put on the body can disrupt the menstrual cycle, drug use and eating disorder aside, the fact that you’re panicking probably isn’t helping either. Take a test to put your mind at ease; I am sure it'll be negative.

:rose: