Today has been amazing for me

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by xoCherie, Jun 20, 2012.

1. xoCherie

xoCherie Well-Known Member

I started volunteering at the local RDA (Riding for Disabled Australia) today and straight away was just clicking with everyone, I had three rides today where I led the horse - I don’t have my blue card so I can’t be the walk-along and support the children or teenagers. I had Ambrose first, a bay quarter horse, who was kinda stubborn but it was just him testing me out and I put him in his place haha. A little Shetland pony called Poppy was next, and his rider was a girl with rather bad cerebral palsy who had three people as her walk-alongs while I led her around. Poppy was such a gentleman, when she was slipping he stopped straight away, which let us all know she was slipping. The last ride I had Repo, who was really stubborn. He had to pee and just refused to move for a minute afterwards and it took another helper to get him moving, and then when we were out in the paddocks he ended up taking the lead and he got all happy, perking his ears up and being all alert, giving little happy snorts. The only hiccup was that he HATED being in the middle of the path and would try and push right up against the side of the track, which I had to watch out for be ause of the rider, so actually made him walk down the set trail haha. Plus he kept kicking my foot accidentally as he walked.
    Seeing these kids, that have mental and physical illnesses that actually make it hard for them to cope, smiling while they’re on the back of these horses is an amazing site. The girl on Poppy was smiling the whole time, and I couldn’t help but smile back. The first rider I had, a boy with Down Syndrome, was so chatty and he made me laugh and we talked about how much he enjoyed riding the horses and I found out he actually helped shoe a horse once. I learnt so, so much from these kids on my first day, it’s amazing,
    To think, if I’d succeeded Sunday I never would have had this experience. When I realized that I almost cried. I’ve been so happy today that I skipped down the street afterwards, and I’ve been telling EVERYONE about it and I can’t stop smiling. I get to go again tomorrow! And after school holidays, I’m volunteering every Wednesday and Thursday into the foreseeable future :)

AND I just caught Squeak, she's my favorite mouse who also happens to be a ninja at escaping. This is the third time now but I love her too much to ever give her up. Gunna look into chicken wire around the cage xD or a small fish tank with a detachable lid. She bends the wires on the cage the other two are in, the smart Alec.

2. Baldr

Baldr Moderator Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm really glad you had a great day, it sounds like a really nice day to me too and I hope that they'll continue to come when you'll go back there :)
    I also hope that you'll be able to stop Squeak from escaping, heh :)
    And also you have a really cool avatar :unsure:

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

You signify the promise of the next day...I have been involved in therapy using horses as well and I know how much they benefit the kids...more importantly, it benefitted you which is such a joy...this is truly a story i wanted to read today...thanks for sharing

4. xoCherie

It was so, so nice to have something to get me out of bed feeling motivated. I haven't felt that excited in ages, months I think.
    Haha here's to hoping. Unfortunately, in my excitement at catching her, I left the door to the cage open and Scruffy got out - but she's smaller, slower, and gets hungry faster, so I've baited the humane trap with her favorite food haha.
    Aw thank you :) I made it last year lol

5. xoCherie

Aw glad you appreciate it :) I felt nervous, saying I have recently been diagnosed with BPD, but the boss smiled and said its fine, and after she saw me come in smiling from the first ride out said that they're probably what I need right now, and I can't help but agree. I've always loved horses and now I'm doing something that helps me learn the skills I need to run my own riding stables while also helping disabled children.

6. aussiegal

aussiegal Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I too work with children with disabilities but in athletics, cross country and sport. Same kind of experiences and feelings that you get. I sometimes wonder who enjoys it more... me or the kids??!!! Keep the great stories coming! Made me smile!

7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Your story is very inspirational, and it brings a tear to my eye - albeit one of happiness!