Today's music?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My person opinion here but why is today's music such bullshit than let's say the 90's, their music was amazing, the trance, the dance, the rants, the chants!! ...all of it, what the hell happened?

And who actually likes todays music? I listen to a bit of rihanna, ellie goulding, eminem, the script but you cannot compare that to the 90's can we?
  2. Citizen Insane

Citizen Insane Chat Pro SF Author SF Supporter

Hiya Lynn! ^__^
    I'm a true 90s kid as well, born in 1990! :p

Long response incoming! ;)

If I think about my own taste in music, how it evolved and how it came to be the way it's now... I draw different conclusions. Perhaps it's the genre in music I mostly listen to, but I do see a very positive evolution in the electronic music industry and world at least (compared to 90s electronic music).
    Talking about the production value, the equipment that artists use (meaning a wider output variety of sounds that they can produce) and also music that doesn't follow the same formula that we have seen so much of already.

There are a lot of artists out there that I found out about by listening to my feelings. I find myself exploring emotions that go beyond the "normal" emotions that are overly represented in music today.
    Music that's not "just" enjoyable, but rewarding on the long term and music that's capable of really adding something special to my daily life.

Also, I'm not buying albums based on (review) score, but I let myself decide wether I want explore the music that artists put out.

I guess as far as "mainstream 90s" music goes, nostalgia probably is a big factor. I can enjoy an evening on a random day of listening to 90s pop/rock/dance songs on youtube, but no more than that before my brain starts analyzing and disecting the music for what it really is. Suppose that's a personal thing for me though.

I think the 90s artists had quite a bit of creativity, I still have a few albums from the 90s that I listen to. The greater part (90%) of my present day music collection are still albums from the year 2000 and beyond that.
    There was a lot of talent to be found in that day and age, though most of them are not active anymore in the present day.

What happened to the mainstream music in the present day? It could be that the creativity of most of the artists (and producers) and the music they bring out are watered down versions of old formulas in music that used to work. It's like the music industry had a temporary burn-out phase.
    Music being a product for the most part, as a way of gaining money and giving the people who buy and listen to the music an enjoyable experience in return.
    Music as a competition is not very healthy I feel, but I suppose most of the top chart music is decided by big record labels.

To include a quote from an interview from one of my favourite artists Brock van Wey (bvdub): "What drives me to be so productive, quite simply, and at the risk of sounding trite, is that this music is what I live for.
    Without it, life for me literally would have no meaning… so (to the detriment of my poor girlfriend), pretty much the only thing I ever want to do is work on music.
    Though I still do enjoy a good all-day video game marathon, I must admit, really most anytime I’m doing anything besides working on music, I just feel like I’m wasting time that could be much better spent in the studio (before that makes me sound all big and official, it’s really just a room in my apartment I have all my music stuff in), and frankly there is really nothing I love more, or would rather do than work on music – and so that’s pretty much all I do."

I feel like that's what can give a greater meaning to music. There is a lot of music out there, dear Petal, that if you look for what you wish to experience and explore (emotion wise) you'll discover amazing sounds and people too.
  3. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hey Lynn :D

I agree that you can't compare today to the 1990's. The 90's was a unique time for music and it's not been emulated since. I'll try to answer your question but be warned, there is an unnecessarily long response incoming :p

The music industry is moving too fast today for consistently high quality music. The production quality on music today may be a lot better than ever before but I can’t help but notice the decline in the overall quality and sound of music. This is in part due to how fast the market is moving and the rate at which new artists emerge. Everyone now gets their 15 minutes of fame. People are moving so fast within the industry, they are going from 0-60 in lightning speed and it's affecting the music. I look at the charts and I don't recognise half the people on it. In 12 months most of them will drop off the radar. People are making money so quick that they don't care about the music. Once they've made their money and have a fan base, why spend time putting effort into making a record and then tour constantly when you can spit out an average album every year and make money from it? That's okay once you've established a career. You can see it in artists that have been around for a long time; once they hit peak, the majority will see a decline in their work further down the line (Eminem, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Daft Punk, David Guetta, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Nas, Jay-z, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wu-Tang Clan + 5 million others). But these new artists want to go from just starting out to be on a Madonna, Whitney, Eminem, Tupac level, but there's a lot of ground to cover before you get there.

I think musicians are spoilt for choice today. It's not like before when you had to do everything yourself, there's people to do that for you now. When Queen released their magnum opus, A Night at the Opera in 1975, it was the most expensive album ever made. They were a big band then, had international hits, top ten albums and sell out shows across the UK, but this is the album that made them explode and took them to a new level. What people don't remember is that they were in financial difficulty whilst making this album and the success or failure of it would pretty much determine the future of the band. Had it flopped, Queen may never have become one of the most popular and biggest selling bands in history. In fact, it's highly likely that the band would have ended there and then. Of course, that never happened. The album hit number one and produced their biggest single Bohemian Rhapsody, the rest is history.

Following what I said above, there is no real struggle to produce, write songs, create music anymore and the reason for this is because a variety of factors. The music industry has changed a lot in the last 15 years and the majority of pop artists now rely on teams of producers, musicians and ghost writers to help them make a finished product. Auto-tune, pre-produced music, artists featuring on songs, musicians that create sound for you and people who write lyrics for you. A lot of artists don’t even meet each other if they are producing a song together. The loudness war has corrupted the pure sound of music. Album sales are down massively. In some genres (such as progressive/electro house) artists are not making albums anymore simply due to cost and time constraints. It works because these artists have adapted to the market very well. Why spend 6-12 months creating an album when very little people are going to buy it and would prefer to just buy the hit singles for much cheaper?

Critics/music enthusiasts (whatever you want to call these people) have been very vocal on the decline of popular music in general. How many masterpieces can you name from 2000-2015? Or just a brilliantly crafted piece of work? The truth is there isn’t many and in the last 10 years there has been a significant decline in the quality of music. The Source Magazine rate hip-hop albums from 1-5 mics. It was one of the most coveted prizes in the genre. 39 albums were given a 5 mic rating from 1984-1999. Only 5 albums have been given a 5 mic rating from 2000-2015… Two of these choices have been heavily criticised due to the (for lack of better words) shit content of these albums. Take those 2 out and that’s one masterpiece every 5 years for rap (2000-2015). And what the hell happened to Top of the Pops, why they cut that? It can’t be a nostalgia effect when multiple generations of people feel lost with current pop music. When the Beatles first emerged they were criticised as pop trash. That opinion changed very quickly and within a few years they were starting to gain respect and today they are lauded as one of, if not the greatest band of all time.

The 1960’s saw some of the most influential artists in the last century debut - The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, The Who, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, etc.

The 1970’s: Rock continues and makes a path for hard rock, psychedelic rock, punk rock, new wave, and the early sound of heavy metal. continued that trend with some massive artists releasing album after album of great material - Pink Floyd, Eagles, Stevie Wonder, Black Sabbath, The Ramones, ABBA, Aerosmith, Queen, etc.

The 1980’s saw some big pop artists come into view. Rock, soul, pop and disco were all very big. You had Michael Jackson, Metallica, Prince, U2, Madonna, Depeche Mode, David Bowie, Guns N' Roses, etc.

The 1990’s is when hip-hop, alternative rock and house music exploded. You had Nirvana, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Outkast, The Prodigy, Bryan Adams, Tiesto, Daft Punk, etc. There were a whole load of pop bands like N*Sync, Backstreet Boys and Westlife going huge too.

Bring on the Noughties and you’ve got a big issue. There aren't any big trends coming through or the creation/emergence of new styles like in each prior decade. The biggest artists are carried over from the previous decade and post 2005 there is very little going on. There were some massive artists from this decade, but compared to the rest, they fall short in numbers. And if you look at right now... I mean the 50’s had bigger artists than today. To be honest, it doesn’t take much research to find out that what you are saying is true. People want to deny it and go with the easy out, “this is how all pop music is in every decade, the older generation hates it and most of it is trash.” Yes, every decade had a lot of trash pop music that has faded away with time, leaving today looking very bad in comparison, but here’s the issue… where are the artists that circumvent this whole group, the artists whose music can only be described as pure genius and will live on for centuries? Don’t get me wrong, there are some great artists right now, but I get the feeling that very few will be remembered over the next couple of decades, if that.

I don’t know if we destroyed the music industry ourselves by downloading and distributing pirated music, I would like to think not. Films have faced the same issue but I can name hundreds of great films from the last 10-15 years. Less people are playing instruments; less people are writing their own music or starting bands. Indie rock is fading; rap is near dead, pop music is shockingly bad. We are running out of genres and need something new and creative.

There is a silver lining however. It has given me time to find music from many years ago that I would not have found otherwise. Plus, if you look hard enough you will find that certain genres are thriving. They may be smaller and a little less known, but the amount of effort and time these artists put into their work is incredible. Progressive/Electro/Future/Deep House is the best example I can give you because these artists are not only well known in their circles but are going on to be big hits in clubs and charts worldwide. They aren’t hitting massively on charts, but they aren’t doing too badly either. But to relate back to what you said about today's music… It's a sad sight when a 21 year old (me, cicada 3301, bob) has only 6 songs from the whole of 2015 in his library (68 songs from 2014). I have more songs from 1957 (my parents weren't even born then) than I do from 2015. What does that say about the current state of music?
    2 people like this.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can't lie, I do like some of the music from today. But a lot of it doesn't compare to music from 40-50 years ago. I do listen to a wide range, going back to the beginning of time for music :p I don't dislike songs based on the era they came out in, I dislike them if they are crap, that's about it though. I guess I am not too picky, I'm the same with books too :p
    2 people like this.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am partial to 80's music myself. And I absolutely can't stand heavy metal or rap so when I look at some of what you 90's lover are mentioning, I cringe lol. I also greatly dislike artists (eminem and Kanye comes to mind) that think it's okay to use foul language, degrade people, are violent etc and have the nerve to say it's okay because it is self expression through music. I could rant forever on the effects this has had on society, but then I remind myself that at one time, rock was considered evil and Elvis was a "bad boy". Times, they are a changin' but I don't have to like it or agree with it :)
    2 people like this.
  6. I don't listen to anything but metal. \m/
    Pepe Silvia likes this.
  7. LoneleyAndLost

LoneleyAndLost Active Member

Well it is true that most song of 90s are great but also there are many singer today who are good.
    In 80s and 90s song and music was from heart and soul.
    Now its just matter how will singer dance,move,have spots who are expenssive and etc..Singer who are sing on playback is also high.
    But still always will be good song and good writers and singers.
  8. RowanBlack

RowanBlack Member

Its the shifting of the times. I remember so much when people used to hate on the 90's. "The worst decade", "terrible music" ect. While this isn't necessarily true the passage of time removes the "bad" music and we tend to only remember the good music that has lasted throughout the decades.
    3 people like this.
  9. Moat

Moat Banned Member

That is very true; I remember all the hate about 90s music even back in the 90s lol but compared to today, when you have every second song swearing in place of real lyrics every few lines or singing about some 'mf' beating on his missus and calling it acceptable then selling that crap to kids as young as 8 and 9, that is indeed the worst taste (and that is not just'rap' music, either, I am talking about!)
    2 people like this.
  10. RowanBlack

RowanBlack Member

TBH Rap has calmed down a bit. I mean go listen to some 80's and early 90's rap. It was worse than the "mainstream" kind of rap we have now. I think they have learned to monopolize on the genre and now work within boundaries in order to sell a product more efficiently. I think talk of sexuality is far more open in the songs of today. I think that much is definitely true.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.