told my parents I am suicidal, bad results

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by fighter, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fighter

fighter Member

well I really do not know what to do anymore. i feel extremely depressed all the time. i finally got the nerve to say something to my parents about it. i told my dad how i always think about how i can kill myself, how i wish i would go to sleep and not wake up. i was almost crying.

well too bad. he only got angry. told me to be quiet and not say things like that. started yelling at me.

it was my cry for help, i don't know what else to do. i tried. i can't help myself anymore. there is no one to turn to anymore.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Oh I know how that must be, and I know I'd never do that, just because I know what they think about mental illness.

You need to tell your GP or school counsellor, anyone but them...
  3. dreamstar

dreamstar Active Member

Hi Fighter, that sucks so bad when you finally reach out to someone and tell them how you feel and all they do is get angry and criticize and judge and yell at you:(. I got that from my parents too. And I NEVER talk to them about my depression/anxiety problems anymore because they do NOT understand these kind of things. It hurts bad because I dont have many people in my life to turn to. My parents are the only people in my life. Everyone else I know are people from online. It just saddens me deeply that they cant educate themselves about mental illness and try to understand it since they have a daughter who suffers from it. Like if I had some kind of very painful/debilating physical illness I know they would try to educate themselves about it and learn about it. But not so with mental illness. It just hurts so bad and makes you feel so much more alone when friends/family say insensitive/hurtful things to you about your depression and how AWFUL this illness makes you feel inside. I'm sorry your hurting so bad right now and feel you have no one to turn to. My only true TRUE and best friend is God. He's my confident and the one that I cry to and pour my heart out to. I love him so much. I wish I could be with him and out of this world filled with so much pain/suffering.

Anyway, if you ever want someone to talk to about your feelings or stuff thats bothering you or whatever feel free to drop me a message anytime.

Take care,
  4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Fighter...this is a classic way that male adults (and even teens) react to something that both 1.)scares the SHIT out of them and 2.) that they feel they can do nothing about.

He is NOT angry at you, he is feeling emotions that with which he has no idea how to deal.

Many, many people (ahem, males) react to shock and fear and concern with anger. Please know how much your father loves you and how frightened he is for you. Right now, he is feeling that he needs to be strong and masculine and unafraid for "scare" you out of your depression. Trust me, he is reeling inside and terrified about what you will do.

He loves you more than he could ever love himself and is just trying to deal with the information.
  5. roro

roro Well-Known Member

what an ass! I am so sorry. If my son said something like that to me or my husband he would get a big hug and some help. that is just awful.

don't bother telling yoru parents, or listening to them for that matter. go to a school counsellor or a caring teacher, they will get you some help.
  6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am sorry to hear that was your father's reaction to your cry for help. That is one of the biggest fears of parents. They do not know how to react, what to say, or how to handle the situation unless they themselves have been there. They try to deny it was even brought up. They are not really angry per say. They are so frightnened they react in the only way they know how and that is to lash out and deny your feelings. Please talk to someone that may understand. This can be a teacher, counselor, pastor, doctor, health care provider, someone at the hospital, a social services director. People like that. I hope you are able to find help. Please don't give up because of your dads reaction. Take care of yourself and stay safe. :hug:
  7. fighter

fighter Member

thanks for the comments, i appreciate it.

it sucks for me though because i'm not in school anymore and i don't work. i can't talk to anyone about it other than my parents because i can't drive.

i just feel totally stuck. i can't help myself and the only people that could help me won't. really the only thing i can do is try to use willpower to overcome my depression and mental issues on my own.

oh god

i have to figure out how to help myself
  8. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

that is how my parents were to my brother before he committed suicide.
  9. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

Well, coming here is most definately a start. We're not professionals, but we're hear to lend an ear.

I'm sorry to hear that that's the way your dad reacted. ((I honestly think my dad would react almost the exact same way... my mother would cry, though)) I'm here if you need a PM or something.

Hmm... about getting professional help... you could check the phone books or go to a walk-in clinic and ask around or something. Then again, there's always Google.

Take care. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.