Tony Scott...and the media reaction.. .Possible triggers

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by GreySand, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreySand

GreySand Member & Antiquities Friend

All day I have been asking myself 'Why' about The film director Tony Scott. In the media they have been talking about depression and Suicide. I have just read that Tony had an uncureable type of brain cancer. Now people are talking about him being 'Brave' doing what he did. Preventing his own pain and that of his family - not having them have to watch his slow death....

Does this mean that people with physical illnesses who end their lives are brave but people who have mental illness or psychological problems are cowards....

If you have a serious mental health problem you may think that you will, or are suffering a slow lingering death..

I am just interested in people thoughts about this...

Over to you..

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The media play what gets viewers and readers to watch and read and angle the story and headlines to that purpose. In other words , they, like every other business cater to the needs of the customers (viewers/readers) with an eye toward sensationalism. As long as the general public has a certain attitude they will reflect it in some manner.

In answer to the actual question Does this mean that people with physical illnesses who end their lives are brave but people who have mental illness or psychological problems are cowards...] I do not think it is defined by by courage or cowardice yet I do believe that there are differences. Just my opinion worth no more than anybody else's.

Take Care

Ben

3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

It takes great courage to face a life of hardship. However, it also takes great courage to take your own life. Suicide is neither brave nor cowardly. It is just a decision that is simultaneously brave and cowardly, selfish and selfless. Brave, to go against one's natural survival instincts, to risk possible failure, to look death in the face and to plunge head first into it... cowardly, to run from the misery that is life by taking "the easy way out"... selfish, to think only of relieving your own pain without caring about how your death will affect others... selfless, in that you are giving up your most valuable possession, life, and freeing the world from the burden of your existence.

In both life and in death, we are all brave cowards.

4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It's all relative to the person and their situation. If you really want to dwell on it, the media and entertainment section are going to put him in the best possible light because of how well liked and known he was in conjunction with his situation.

Whatever they say is just their opinon, it makes no difference. They might aswell say it's apples. Who cares what these people think. They're just like you and me, they know nothing, and are simply telling an external story to what he was enduring. Their opinon is mute.

In my opinon atleast..

5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

People don't want to think that the brain is an organ of the body just like the heart, liver, lungs, etc. and the brain too can malfunction, get diseased and go hay wire. My husband had cancer and chose to end his life. He was everything the Lone Wolf says. His doctors told me he could have lived another 8 yrs. and they knew his plans but because of HIPPAA laws, they could not tell me. My husband was a con artist, liar, robber at the end and I did not know the man I fell in love with at the end. It could have been a change in brain chemistry, the drugs he was on, his cyclothymia, brain mets, who knows? Only one person knows and he is dead. Same with Tony Scott.

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I agree that the brain can malfunction, but surely not all suicides are the result of mental illness. Just as not all forms of depression are caused by a malfunction in the brain. Sometimes depression is a normal, healthy reaction to a bad situation... and sometimes suicide seems like a rational solution to a problem or series of problems. I don't believe my depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. But then, if I'm being completely honest with myself, I can't really say that suicide would be the most rational solution to my problems, either. Not yet at least.

I am sorry about your husband. I won't speculate on what exactly was going on with him because I did not know the man and like you said, sometimes the only people who can understand what they are going through are themselves. Sometimes even the people themselves don't know what is wrong, such as in the case of mental illness. There are those who act on impulse, have multiple personalities, are not always in full control of their thoughts and actions, etc., so sometimes suicide isn't even a conscious decision at all.

7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Very profound, though I try to be more of a warrior than a worrier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.