Too "gay-looking" to donate blood?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by reynard_muldrake, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reynard_muldrake

reynard_muldrake Well-Known Member

It got one person rejected from giving to his local blood donation center.

You can read the rest of the article here.

2. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Its a piss take. On the one hand, blood services are screaming out for doners to come forward and donate, but on the other they push away perfectally good doners based simply on old statistics and good old fashioned homophobia.

I live in the UK and they have the same rules about being gay and giving blood. So as a little fuck you to the health service I (a gay bloke) lied on the medical form, proclaimed to be straight and gave blood. :bleh:

3. blondeellen

blondeellen Well-Known Member

my friend is obviously gay but just says he is a virgin and has given blood (hes only 17)

4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

? eh

So can someone explain the rational of this one to me?

5. blondeellen

blondeellen Well-Known Member

basically the idea is that if you are a gay man you are more prone to blood infections like hiv. im not sure its statistically true any more. and i think the law should be changed

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

hah. Wait wha.. :blink:
    Tbh i thought it was something messed up like homophobic people not wanting "gay" blood in them or something daft like that.

Didn't think this was legal actually.

7. Atompilz

Atompilz Well-Known Member

I'm an English girl living in France (8 years) and it is illegal for me to give blood here because I have been to England within the last 10 years. They are worried about BSE (mad cow! You can't buy British meat here), since the only test for it must be done post mortem they simply won't accept the blood, even the rarest type! We are walking, talking, ticking Mad Cow time bombs apparently! :cow:

So it's not the only silly law! I do wonder if I can give blood in 5 years as I haven't visited England for 5 years. Maybe I should keep quiet about the fact I am a lesbian though hey??!!! :rolleyes:

8. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Its got nothing to do with discrimination against homosexual men - its just that it WAS very high risk back in the 1980s. The spread of aids was fast - and it was multiple partners because - lets face it many men are like that when they are heterosexual and would not turn down a different women every night!

In some of the big USA city gay scenes - getting laid was as easy as ordering a pint. Cheaper in fact. Places called #bath houses' were full of men who were looking for a casual contact the way men do and can.

These days other high risk groups are defined in racial terms - I guess there is a fear that drawing attention to it will be seen as racist - when in reality - if you went to certain African nations and had sex with hookers - the risk is so VERY high. I would imagine gay people in Africa may have less aids than heterosexuals. Mainly due to gays being educated whilst some African presidents pretty much blame it on gays - and some Arab leaders think its God or the CIA making aids.

I know blood is screened when it is taken - but cutting out high risk groups makes sense because sometimes the screening goes wrong and a batch is let loose. Just one donation might mean thousands getting some blood products may be infected.

However, it is unfair because other high risk groups are allowed to donate - and any heterosexual who does not use a condom - odds are you have something.

9. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

So he complains about being discriminated against and then has the audacity to complain about another group that's able to give blood? Really? Just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they are riddled with diseases and infected blood. Someone can be homeless and still able to live healthily.

Anyways, yeah, that old homosexual rule is outdated for sure. More heterosexual people (proportion-wise) have HIV / AIDS than male gay people. I don't see why they don't revise it, it's not the 1980s anymore. I suppose they should also stop immigrants from Africa donating blood too, seeing as the whole continent is apparently infested with AIDS...

But on a serious note I thought all donated blood was screened anyway?

10. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Dont know if you live in the UK or not 90% of homeless people living on the street drink alcohol and inject drugs, out of that 90% about 85% have Hep C or HIV or in many cases these days both so in fact many people who are sleeping rough are in fact riddled with diseases.

But anyway its a moot point because all blood as from 1992 has been screened for any infections or diseases before its placed into a blood bank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.