Too much, too quickly

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by CrimsonK, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonK

CrimsonK New Member

We've recently gone through two financial changes. Last year and most of this year we've had way more money than we knew what to do with. I had suffered from severe depression and frequest suicidal ideation, hospitalizations, and was taking multiple medications (and still am) before that. When this "era" of my life began, all of that went away. I was happy. Recently, things have stacked up. Bills have started coming in, and my grandmother who I live with got stopped by a patrolman on the way to the supermarket. Turns out her insurance was expired, the tag had expired, and the "move your tag from your old vehicle to your new one" thing hasn't been a lawful thing to do for a while now, even though we all thought it was. She's now facing huge fines, and we already have a projected monthly bank account balance of -$849 (yes, overdrawn THAT much), including both her social security check and my SSI check coming in. Even if we were to live off 1/4 of the groceries we were getting beforehand (my father also lives here, and is disabled), we'd be in the red financially. We already have a loan on the car, which is one of our bills. We have noone to borrow from, and couldn't pay them back if we did. The house doesn't qualify for a reverse mortgage, we're ALREADY on foodstamps, and she's going to court tomorrow. I don't see any end in sight for this. Our electric, TV, internet, and water are all still connected because the bank paid the bill on overdraft for this month, thus making our debt for next month higher. The suicidal ideation is back in full force, and I don't want to be hospitalized again, which will just stack up another bill. I don't see any end in sight. I just had to share this with someone. I don't know what to do.

2. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

Hello CrimsonK, I'm sorry about all of that, I don't really understand how the economics works in the US, but I'm here if you need to talk. You are not alone here.
    Maybe someone from the US can give you an advice or anything to help you, because I live in a very far country from you. I hope things get better for you.
    *hug

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am sorry for your difficult situation. There are a few options you can look into. Try calling 211 (the social services hotline). They may be able to direct you to any government agencies that can help. Things such as HEAP come to mind that may be of some use to you. As you may know, many of the programs are not going to work right now because they are based on your year to date resources and be the sounds it was a very recently that there was a problem and before that there was no issue with income at all so ytd is not going to work in your favor. You may have better luck finding emergency resources through local clergy. They can direct you to food banks or other useful charities usually. For the court, have your mother take a bank statement or some evidence of bills/financial hardship with her. She can use that to get any mandatory fines put on an extended payment schedule or possibly to get the judge to consider suspending some fines. The last thing you may want to consider is how you are applying for aid. Instead of applying as a family residing together, have your parents "lease" you a room on paper for a reasonable amount. Then you apply for aid based on your resources and they on theirs instead of combining all into one household income.

4. CrimsonK

CrimsonK New Member

Thank you for your suggestions. We didn't even know about 211. I'm not quite feeling the despair I was last night, but it'll be steadily mounting again as 5 PM rolls around (court time). I'll let you all know how it goes, hopefully.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I just signed on and it happens to be 5 Pm here, just wanted you to know am thinking of you and your family and hoping all goes as well as possible......

6. CrimsonK

CrimsonK New Member

Just got back. $1170.00 worth of fines, to be paid over 2 years, more if needed. At least THAT wasn't the worst thing that could happen. But now the electric's going to be cut off Monday if we don't find anything to do about it by then. But since this is over with, at least I can sleep without dreaming "those dreams".

7. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

I am not in that bad a situation. But I lost alot of money through a bad business that I ran for three years. I left home and feel guilty abandoning my parents. I got depression and worry about my parents well being. I realized that I had to ask for God's help. I begged him to help me with every part of my life. I hope God will come to fix your life. I really feel sorry for your situation. I rarely express my empathy towards someone. I made a lot of bad business ventures the past three years and moved away from my family. I felt so spread out. I know that my problems pale compared to yours. I think God is starting to piece my family business together. I think we have had a net loss for the past three years. And fear that we are heading the wrong way. But we aren't near broke yet. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.