Too Smart For Therapy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ThePhantomLady, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant. I'm sorry about that.

I am very intelligent and the human brain is one of my favourite subjects. I am trained for and have worked as a secretary and research assistant at the local hospital.

In 2012 I was in therapy, receiving what I think is called something along the lines of "Dialectic behavioral Therapy" if that's the proper English name. Which consisted of group sessions and one-on-one sessions with a therapist.

The group sessions were played out like a class in the workings of the human brain, and I found myself getting bored.
    I did learn a few things I suppose, but what was most interesting was one fellow patient and her stories, they inspired me a lot to find out what was going on with me.

The sessions with the therapist went okay I suppose, but I ended up 'befriending' the therapist instead of having a proper therapist/patient relation. This woke the pleaser in me who always goes out of the way to make others feel better about themselves. I managed to gradually fake a believable recovery while my real issues were never dealt with.

I started my education to become healthcare service secretary while in therapy and she started using time to show me the computer programs, giving me tips...

I was finally let go of therapy after "having recovered"

In February I will start the same style of therapy and I'm so scared I'll fall into the same pattern. This time I do have the support of my boyfriend who also knows how to give me the strength to speak up for myself.

Yesterday I attended the last of 4 "Introduction to therapy" meetings. And I got bored again... it was a curse in the human brain... and there was nothing new in it for me. I know how the Amygdala can take a seemingly innocent smell and turn it into a panic attack as it associates said smell with danger and shuts off the cortex to go into 'fight or flight' mode.
    (Okay it didn't help that I attended it hungover with 2 hours of sleep)

2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Doesnt matter what your IQ is and know how to play the system

EVEN Therapists need Therapists...... I am in the Mental Health Field and I KNOW how to play the system myself and know what to say and not to say and that hurts my recovery/healing time processes with my T. I know all of the crap we should be doing to reduce mental issues but do I follow them... NO. Do I pay attention to all of the group stuff.. NO. Am I better? No. I love your post because it reminds of me myself sometimes. I just repeat what clients are supposed to be doing to improve their situations and do I practice what I know/preach... No. lol.

AND NO it is not arrogance. We are playing a dangerous game indeed on our own mind. Tricking ourselves that we are smarter for our own good...its our downfall in some sense. Hope you get what I mean.

3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

That. Now THAT is so darn true!

Today I caught myself helping my boyfriend with his issues, and realized I really should listen to myself.

(He has PTSD after a horrible biking accident as a kid that nearly killed him and brain damaged him. He only started getting help last year and hadn't even told his brother he was still struggling with panic attacks and nightmares... I caught the signs and within a month of having known him I knew he had to get help. We had a major fight (over his ex) and I basically ended up telling him that if he didn't try to get some serious help I'd never talk to him again. Poor man! But the day after his brother's wife had set him up with a wonderful therapist the next week).

Today he fell off his bike on the way to work, he's fine, only a few asphalt burns but I just fear there's going to be a reaction. I reminded him to not forget to mention this to his therapist during his session tomorrow morning... he hadn't really thought of that.

We had a longer talk about some things, and none of us wanted him to be alone tonight in case he gets a reaction. He started saying he didn't want to bother his brother... (we're in a LDR, he lives in another country... else I had been spending the night with him) and I told him this:

"You have people in your life who love you.
    You have value, you are worthy of love and help. So damn worthy.
    -And don't you think it hurts to later find out that you were hurting on your own, when we would have gone out of our way to be there for you?
    Allow them to be there"

Easier said than done...

I'm still amazed he listens to me.

How many times haven't I been hiding my own hurt from people because I didn't want to be in the way, telling myself I wasn't worth their time... I sometimes do that with him even... He knows to ask twice again if the response is "I'm fine" ... especially if he's struggling himself. We've both gotten hurt by that some times...

I always will be there for him and try to help him through what ever, coming with all my techniques and what now... some weeks ago I talked him out of a panic attack.

But I can't help myself.