Too stupid to explain yourself properly

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by whynot, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whynot

whynot Active Member

It's horrible. Writing sentences is difficult and my words come out all rushed and choppy. When I type I string together one choppy unrelated sentence to another without thinking of where they will lead. My writing is so difficult to follow that people just ignore me completely most of the time. I can't embellish my thoughts with any kind of personality but just sound like a mentally cluttered robot. I wish I could connect with people better. Nobody gives a shit or cares and I'm too stupid too express myself so that I can actually connect with people.
  2. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

i do give a shit. i care. p.m me if you wanna talk.
  3. Just_visiting

Just_visiting Well-Known Member

First i wanted to say for someone that has trouble expressing themselves and stringing sentences together u did very well there :smile: . Also i think i kind of understand wat u mean, i hav a very similar problem however it mainly effects my speaking. When i speak its very disjointed, the sentences dont follow and quite often the words get into the wrong order. Anyway i just wanted to say i know wat its like to struggle to communicate with people, and if u ever want someone to chat to, or anything then just send me a pm.
    Take care
  4. Dunwich

Dunwich Member

I've always been told I write well, but only speak well from a script. The not connecting with anyone part sounds familiar: think you could have Asperger's Syndrome? I became convinced I have it a few years ago, but am frustrated that there's no forum for it on this site. I guess it's not huge enough to warrant its own category here. The main syptoms are an inability to perceive nonverbal social cues, fixating too much on specific topics instead of switching gears, and testing really high but blurting out stupid things in conversation, sort of like Turretts (which I also probably misspelled). It's helped me a little in understanding what I'm doing mentally different from other people, so I just thought I'd throw it out and see if it applies to you.
  5. psycho13

psycho13 Member

That's how I am normally I can type fine but when I talk to people I panic and it either comes out to fast or just in a garble, I was always aware I did this occasionally. But not until a couple months ago did I realize I sound garbled nearly all the time when a friend made me listen to a voicemail I left on her phone, it was real quiet and sounded like I was just making random noises, i just always assumed people didn't care what i said and didn't listen to me but actually they probably don't even realize i'm talking sometimes. lol
  6. There's a musician named Fluke who cannot express himself properly to others most of the time. He has a freind/interprater with him to speak for him most times. I believe his interperater said that Fluke is very frustrated by the fact that he can't express himself properly. I would not call that stupid at all.
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of Asperger's Syndrome? Maybe research it and see if it applies to you.

I don't think it's stupid either. Many people find it hard to communicate.

JANIV makes a brilliant point with what he says.

Take care of yourself
  8. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

You've expressed your feelings here clearly, so i think you are able to express yourself
  9. StellarSparkle

StellarSparkle Well-Known Member

Hey whynot,

What you describe sounds like Alexithymia, which is also related to Asperger's syndrome, have you ever considered this ?

Good luck
  10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Some people call that poetry :smile:
  11. Royfokker

Royfokker Member

From the book The Underground History of American Education.

You will do good and to learn to write better using a method similar to Benjamin Franklin's. Take a great writer like Dostoevsky read a page of his work, put down the book. Then try to to imitate his style of writing as best you can from memory. Then read over what you wrote and try again till you improve.
  12. letdown

letdown Guest

I have this a lot with talking. Sometimes very rambling and disorganised but I don't really's not a problem to me. I just leapfrog from one topic to another but sometimes it is frustrating when I can't say the initial point and then I start beating myself up about it (talking) and then it gets even messier. :laugh:

Anyway, like someone said before, when you write choppily- I kind of like that, and some may say it's poetic. If you feel you aren't getting a reaction from what you write, I don't think that's your responsibility. Your original post was very clear to me!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.