Torturing animals at young age

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by OutCaste, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

Is this the sign of a sociopath ? I have heard a lot about this.

As I child I killed 2 birds and few animals.

But today I feel very guilty about it. How I even had the guts to do something so heinous.:sad:

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Could be a sign of issues at an early age. I'm not sure about it being possible signs of a sociopath.
    Have you told a therapist about this or anything?

I mean, it could be nothing, but if it's troubling you, it could be something to take a deeper look at.

3. OutCaste

I've never told anyone about anything because people around me(not just the family) don't even consider depression/suicidal thoughts as real problems. My grad school sent me a medical form which I had to fill up and I saw a coloumn for psychological/mental disorders but I ticked "none".

I feel guilty about killing animals.

I have a myriad of psychological issues but like I said nobody considers them real. I get some really really ugly thoughts sometimes which I rather not share.

4. fromthatshow

I have the same problem. I don't self harm, and I generally look pretty calm, although I suffer from constant panic and suicidal thoughts. So no one thinks that I am suffering. Except maybe my therapist. You can tell she really believed me.

Would you rather not share because it is tough for you to talk about, or because you are scared of what people will say?
    If it is the latter, feel free to PM me.
    Or maybe just reassuring you it's ok to post here and people will not judge will be enough :hug:

5. OutCaste

I started masturbating at age of 5 or 6. I remember some guy(same age) had introduced me to it and he did some pretty nasty things with me. Where did he learn these things from ? Was he sexually abused ? It really fucked my mind. I still see him sometimes and I even talked to him many times although I never felt anything. I think he knows too but he is either ashamed of it as well or may be something else ? I wish it never happened to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  6. fromthatshow

I am sorry :hug:

I could imagine that would leave someone a little confused.

Talking to a therapist about these issues can really be helpful. Keep it as an option at least.

7. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

When my friends and I were young we use to take turns shooting birds with a BB gun and we kept track of "points" on paper. I also shot a rabbit and a few other animals and I was physically abusive to our pets. I feel guilty about it now and am very sorry. The few people I have talked to about it said that it was pretty normal for a child to treat animals wrongly growing up since they may not know any better. I on the other hand do feel it may be an early sign of a mental disorder since I did grow up to have one.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You seem to be looking back and thinking/feeling though- I mean loads of children do that and grow up and think nothing of it like the above poster says.

I've seen kids around 8-12 years do really horrible things to cats and their own pets. They also tried to pick on me too. To me when I saw them it was like seeing bullies in the playground, really vicious...very frightening to watch really..

Those animals definitely had a meaning for you to kill them.

As for masturbating- children do that. It might seem strange but children are naturally exploring their bodies some at younger ages than others. That boy though, sounds like he has disturbed you a lot...

9. OutCaste

well i didn't want to kill them. I was trying to "pet" them and didn't realize that it would kill them. I also remember that when i killed one of the birds, I was crying a lot. It was a sparrow and I think they are very innocent.

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:hug: that reminds me of a character in a book. have you read Of Mice and Men? a man called lennie does that a lot without understanding what he's doing. you were very young at the time and probably didn't understand that those animals were very fragile..

it doesn't even sound like you did any of that out of malice, try and not beat yourself up about it. the kids i see around here are definitely cruel they do it because they want to see that animal screech and humiliated...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  11. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Well my opinion is that it's a natural thing. Violence is part of our nature, however we CHOOSE it. Because life after all is a choice for everyone, nobody is skipped. What you have to realise is that there's a consequence for everything, and as you can be very vicious so can others. That's why fear is the easiest feeling one can use to control others. One that gives the best results too. As for those who feel no fear and do hideous things to others, i dread the moment they fall into the hands of the person or...thing that will pay for their "services" to others in ways you cannot even imagine. So have your thoughts, it's normal, i have it too, just remember there will always be someone to get you if you go ahead with'em.

12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

A lot of the boys I knew growing up did some unpleasant things to animals (including insects). I don't think it necessarily indicates sociopathic tendencies. I think it's probably just one of those nasty little secrets about little boys that people don't really like to talk about.

I shot a squirrel with my pellet gun when I was about 13. Unfortunately, it didn't die right away and the spectacle made me physically ill. I never did it again. I wish I knew why I did it anyway.

13. Cynic

Cynic Member

Yes, it can be a sign of a sociopath, but little kids also do things like that by just being a kid. Are you still doing this? Do you have any other symptoms? Try "googling" sociopathic symptoms or tendencies.

Sociopaths usually don't know, care or believe that they are sociopaths.

My ex-husband is a sociopath. I know what to look for. :sad:

14. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

THere have been studies done on serial killers and all of them had tortured/killed animals at a young age. However it doesn't mean that all kids who torture/kill animals will grow up to be sociopathic. Some kids do such things cause they themselves have been or are being abused in some way.

You could "make amends" for your childhood wrongs by helping animals today. Volunteer for an animal shelter. Something like that. Just do something good for animals as a way of self-forgiveness.

15. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

Very well said and totally agree with the helping out at the shelter idea... xx

16. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

it depends on the intent i believe, also it is not always a sign of a sociopath, i have known several people as a kid kill animals for no reason, my gineau pig was scewered on a screwdriver by a local lad for 'fun', yet as he grew older he became a 'model' citizen. myself personally have been killing animals since i was able to walk, only difference is that i am a huntsman.
    killing itself is instinctual, uneccesary cruelty does happen when some kids are young, especially in early teenage years. i do think that its when you start unneccessarily killing animals you love, like pet cats and dogs.
    again i do not think killing is bad, it is natural, as long as the intent is right (for food, to put the animal out of pain etc) the only reasons i ever kill is for food for myself and my animals and to put animals out of pain.
    unless you still find it pleasurable, sexually satisfying or a 'thrill' i do not think you are a sociopath.

17. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

and some kids do it just for the sake of it or to show off to other friends. ive seen it on many occassions

18. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

It is generally only seen as the sign of a developing psycopath/sociopath etc if it happens in conjunction with other things.

usually bedwetting and pyromania (The Macdonald Triad) - and the intent with the animals needs to be there in most cases (zoosadism, not just accidentally killing animals as a young child).

19. Darker Than Black

Darker Than Black Well-Known Member

don't worry I did that more than u probably, when I was in china and I was a kid in elementry, I killed plenty of animals..mostly those that can be caught easily, fish, kicked some dogs, lota frogs, etc..i think its normal, and i never felt guilty about it, im mean we were just kids..right..now when I think about it, it was kinda fun, watching them suffer makes me feel kinda good..no really..hehe

20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

you're a little confused huh bhawk? ok, that's ok. it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.