Total newbie has a question

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by wstgry, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wstgry

wstgry New Member

Hello, everyone! I just joined the list and I have a few questions. My family practice physician suggested I go to the emergency room because of my suicidal feelings. Has anyone out there done that themselves? Can you explain what happens? I am afraid that they will just lock me up and throw away the key. I guess I just need some reinforcement and confidence building before I take such a life-changing step!

Please help. I am really in great distress.

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Hi wstgry,

Here in my town (USA), nurses or other hospital employees may first talk to a patient to see what he is experiencing......then, if they think admission might be something they (or the patient) may want to pursue, the patient may be brought to a room (possibly with a hospital bed), where a medical doctor evaluates him as does a mental health screener....questions from the mental health screener may stray from mental health history and prior medications to your suicidal feelings....then, the screener may deliberate (possibly with an on-call psychiatrist) to see what options they have for his treatment, whether hospitalization may be needed, etc.....the process may be long and taxing, but from my experiences one is treated within reason provided you be of good behavior during your stay.

Glad to have you in our community, and please take care. :hug:

3. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I've been to the ER several times. Depending on severity, they might want you to be hospitalized (voluntarily since you went to the ER yourself), go to a crisis unit, or might just send you home. Here in Maine they have you go to the ER, check in, get your bloodpressure and vitals, tell them why youre there (suicidal ideation), if you have a plan, what it is, and then they take you on back to the Psych Ward. It's just a holding cell, ours has tvs in each one, chairs for family members, and you sit there for a bit. A doctor checks you out to see if you have any physical ailments, then they have a social worker talk with you a bit, sometimes a psychiatrist will talk to you too, and they decide what is best for you to do. If you are in the US, since you went to the hospital on your own, if you're over 18, you can always check yourself out of the psychiatric hospital if you get sent there and feel like it's not helping you. I've been hospitalized in the psychiatric hospital four times and they've all helped me, except for the last one, and I checked myself out after promising to go to a partial hospitalization program instead. In all honesty, all hospitals and systems are different, but the ones I've been to have helped me out a lot. If you have suicidal feelings, it might be worth it to get checked out and take a little mini vacation from life if the doctors agree that you'd be safe in a hospital. :hug: Hopes this helps.

4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

hello and welcome wstgry.. yes a visit to the ER might get you admitted if you are really in need of some immediate help.. saving one's life it sometimes requires involuntary admission.. take care, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.