Total w*nker!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ignored, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Nice to know that compassion isn't dead! :troll: I can only hope karma bites this one on the arse!

DJ's Van Halen outrage

(Monday January 18, 2010 03:12 AM)
    A British DJ has come under fire from mental health groups after playing Van Halen's "Jump" moments before a suicidal woman leapt from a bridge.

Steve Penk was broadcasting on 96.2FM The Revolution recently when four lanes of the M60 had to be closed because of the drama.

As police attempted to talk the woman down, a listener phoned in to request the rock classic, which was then aired.

Penk played it after expressing his sympathy for road users, but the unidentified individual then jumped from the 30ft bridge.

She only suffered minor injuries but the DJ has been slammed for his actions and accused of acting in "very poor taste" by Mind.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for The Samaritans commented: "It shows a lack of compassion and understanding".

Some listeners were also outraged by Penk's behaviour, with Lorna Guinn calling it "pathetic and nasty".

"It's irresponsible - this woman could have overheard it on someone's car stereo", she said.

However, Penk has insisted he would do the same thing again. "The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman.

"I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge but relieved that her injuries were minor.

"If, as has been suggested, the woman jumped because she heard it from a passing car radio that's unfortunate. But I don't regret playing it for a minute", he said.
  2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Lets hope he suffers a long and excruciating painful death.
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

oh my god what an ass...he should get fined for assisting suicide...that is horrible...poor woman...people are so inconsiderate these days...
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

if it was his daughter mother whatever would he still be singing the same tune.
    I think he needs an assessment done but i don't know if there is a medical diagnosis of complete moron.
  5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Could it have been a coincidence?

It's not like he brought a radio to her and played it.

I agree that he's an idiot for doing that but it doesn't sound malicious to me. Just stupid.
  6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah I agree that the guys a dick and unsensitive. Though I doubt she'd hear anything at all... and 30ft? Not really that high is it..
  7. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Why jump that height? Not trying to encourage or anything but I personally would make sure it was higher.

And the guy, he's a dick. There's a lot more where that came from, insensitive fuck.
  8. pileofgarbage

pileofgarbage Member

Sounds like this chick was just attention-seeking. She deserves what she got.
  9. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

She's an idiot for being up there and jumping, and he saw an opportunity for some humor (albeit tasteless) and took it. Maybe he wouldn't have done it if she was at a height where jumping would result in her death. If you ask me, the guy who requested the song is the asshole. Either way, I don't really care.

And Grahamd, that's a bit of an overreaction don't you think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  10. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

the outrage about this is a complete over-reaction.
  11. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

You know what I think it is, some people only take in like hot words from events, so with this they hear, Sucidal women gets the piss taken out of her. Alot of people don't dare go further into the women, but will tunnel on anything else.

It is a horrible situation, and he is a public figure. So he is a insensitive in my opinon. She's.. I donno.
  12. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I know someone who fell from a ladder... approx 15ft... he's very very dead. I think many people might assume that a fall of 30ft onto concrete over a motorway might just do the trick, and that's when you're feeling fairly rational which when you're suicidal you're not. So attention seeking... doubtful!! :dry:
  13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

That's a horrible.

I don't think she's attention seeking, but definatly not thinking rationally about it. That being said, it could swing either way for her wanting to die or not. Either way there is no way I nor anyone else can figure out what she wanted to truly die. And it doesn't matter. I don't know her, and speculation and assumption about peoples motives and intentions just leads to so much bullshit it's unreal. And from the media, ..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.