Trauma and After Effects of ECT

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by What Ever, Aug 16, 2015.

1. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

Has anyone here done ECT and had any bad after effects or trauma related to it?

I myself tried ECT and I have ever since been questioning what effects it has had on me. I find myself shaking a lot and I don't remember doing that much before the ECT. Sometimes, I have something that feels like a flashback to myself shaking, like I was somehow conscious during the ECT.

I know that I suffered memory loss while I was doing ECT, but I am constantly questioning how far the memory loss has gone. I feel like there is so much that I barely remember now and I just am not sure if my memory was that bad before. I can't remember, hah!

I also have perpetual Deja Vu and I don't know if that is because I am doing things that I have already done before that I have forgotten or if it is because of something else.

Anyway, images of me and others shaking in the hospital haunt me. I'm not sure if ECT helped me at all or not. I do know that I have not been the same since I had it. I'm just not sure if the after effects are all psychological or if ECT really did some damage.

Can anyone else relate?
  2. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I am currently having ECT every 2 weeks, and have had it for the past 2 years. I have had very little problem with memory and feel that it has really helped my suicidal thoughts.

How many ECT's have you done? I'm sorry that I can not relate to the issues you are having, ECT has been a very positive experience for me.

Take care!
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I cant do ECT for medical reasons. So its not an option for me to give any feedback
  4. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

I can't remember exactly how many treatments I had. Maybe somewhere near 10? It has been some time since I did it. At first, I definitely had some memory loss, but then the bandwidth was decreased and eventually the treatment was stopped. I was never sure if the ECT helped or not. I still don't know.

I am glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with ECT. That is great!