Traveling with no destination

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Dan Drifter, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Drifter

Dan Drifter Member

I'm older than most of you here (52) and never expected to end up in this spot. I've always had some psychological issues ( unable to tolerate touch until I was in my 30s, romantically retarded, and mostly a loner) but until 4 years ago, life was pretty good. I made and saved decent money, traveled most winters, had a hobby farm to work on, had a few friends, was in fairly good shape physically, and had a wide variety of interests. Then the crash happened. My brother screwed me out of $100K dollars and my half of our construction company. I fell in love for the first time and she milked me of a fair amount of money and broke my heart before disappearing. I had a heart attack, a bad bike crash that broke a bunch of bones, had several surgeries, and was diagnosed with arthritis. Lost my investment in another business and couldn't find work. I lost my house and ended up in a homeless shelter. Now I'm living in my van and traveling around a little. I physically can't stand or walk for more than about an hour or two per day because of a bum hip and a knee that needs replacing. Can't get disability. My mom died recently and I expect to get a few thousand from her estate. When that is gone, I don't know what to do. There is no way I can be homeless without a vehicle to live in, I wouldn't survive. I come from a large family but they are all hyper religious and have washed their hands of me because I'm not interested in religion anymore. 3 years ago a psychiatrist diagnosed me with Asburgers Syndrome but I don't know. I'd like a second opinion. So, I don't know what the future holds but it sure doesn't look good! Of course there is a lot more to my story but this is long enough.

2. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

In theory I'm "unofficial" here, but wanted to welcome you here also, in the event the Private Message did not transmit to your account.

Do make yourself comfortable--there's some good thoughts here, including past writers in the index.

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

welcome.

a few people struggle with homeless and finance issues here too, stick around and you'll also get to talk to them, maybe exchange experiences and practical advice

how come they're saying no to disability for you?

4. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

Hello & Welcome to SF. :hug:

5. Dan Drifter

Dan Drifter Member

Thank you for the welcomes. Until I get an issue with my cell phone resolved, I can only log in at public libraries. So may not post too much at first. A lot of forums are just people talking past each other, trying to be heard but not really interested in anyone else's problems. I'm as self-absorbed as anyone else but hopefully can make a friend or two here. It was so easy making friends when young. It's a real struggle to do so now, especially being homeless and moving around. Best wishes to those on this forum and I'll see you around.

6. Dan Drifter

Dan Drifter Member

Oh, and Scaryforest, I forgot to answer your question. Here in the US, it is almost automatic to be turned down when you apply for disability unless you are missing both arms and legs. So, then you have to get a lawyer and accumulate as much medical history and doctors testimony as you can, before requesting a hearing. I don't have the money for lawyers and doctors. I have no medical insurance and it is hard to get it, being homeless, without a permanent address. With enough help and time (and perseverance), it might happen yet. But I'm too down to try right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.