Trayvon Martin shooting

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

The parents of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin want the neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed their son to be arrested immediately.

Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton said during an interview on NBC’s “Today” show that George Zimmerman stalked their son because he was black and had gotten away with murder after claiming he fired in self-defense.

"I strongly feel he needs to be arrested, because a crime was committed," Tracy Martin told Matt Lauer. "My son is murdered, my son is not with us no (sic) more. Nothing can bring him back."

The anguished parents appeared alongside their lawyer, Benjamin Crump, who suggested that race played a factor in the reluctance to arrest Zimmerman.

"It's crazy that this family has to wait for grand juries and stuff when, if it was the other way around, they would have arrested their son on the spot," Crump said.

Local authorities on Tuesday announced that a grand jury would convene on April 10 to hear evidence in the case, one day after the Justice Department announced its Civil Rights Division had launched a probe.

Trayvon, 17, was shot while walking back to his father's house after a trip to a 7-Eleven convenience store on Feb. 26.

In a 911 call before the shooting, Zimmerman reported spotting "a real suspicious guy" in a hoodie walking through the gated community with "something in his hand."

He later ignored the dispatcher's order to stop following the teen, who was carrying candy and an iced tea.

After the 911 call was released last week, speculation arose over whether Zimmerman — who told the dispatcher "these a-holes, they always get away" — used a racial slur.

Tracy Martin told NBC he hadn't heard the entire tape, but he and Crump said they were shocked by Zimmerman's use of racially suggestive language, such as "these people."

"[Zimmerman\] was suspicious because [Trayvon] was young, black with a hoodie," Crump said.

It was revealed Tuesday that Trayvon was on the phone with an unidentified female friend moments before he was shot.

The 16-year-old said Trayvon sounded worried and asked the man who was tailing him, "What are you following me for?"

The girl said she heard a scuffle, and then the phone went dead.

Moments later, 911 calls from neighbors captured the sounds of someone screaming for help and a single gunshot.

Fulton told NBC she hoped anyone who saw what happened in those final moments would come forward.

"There are witnesses. And I want them to take a look at the evidence that they have," Fulton said.

"My heart hurts because this guy has not been arrested and I feel like the Sanford police… they decided on the scene to be the judge and jury. I want this guy arrested so he can be brought to justice."

The case has garnered national attention. A rally was planned for Wednesday in New York’s Union Square to call for Zimmerman's arrest, and Martin's parents were planning to attend.

Link to 911 phone call:

(Listen with caution)
  2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It was a senseless death. Even if the boy was a threat, neighborhood watch organizations are not supposed to take the law into their own hands. Even Zimmerman was advised not to intervene by the cops.
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

No, if the boy was a threat, even the reasonable perception of physical motion towards you that hints at an attack would justify a physical response. But that's not what happened here. It seems to me a classic case of this guy starting a fight with Trayvon, and becoming trigger-happy when he was on the losing end. It's absurd that he isn't yet arrested.
  4. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

My aunt and I were having a discussion about this story this morning. Neither of us bought Zimmermans self defense story for a second, I don't know what the guy was thinking when he shot that innocent kid but his life was definitely not in danger. Several witnesses have said that they heard Trayvon crying/whimpering, maybe begging for his life before he was shot in cold blood. It's been made abundantly clear that Zimmerman was the aggressor, not Trayvon and why Zimmerman isn't sitting in a cell awaiting trial for 1st degree murder is beyond me.

If you read a little more into Zimmermans past he's completely obsessed with law enforcement, both of his parents are in the judicial system and he's taken classes on civilian law enforcement tactics. I think Zimmerman being the neighborhood watch captain and carrying a gun had turned into his own fantasy game of "cops and robbers" in which he was just itching to exercise his self perceived authority on someone. Ones thing is for sure though, I'm staying the hell out of Florida, their "stand your ground" bill is insane and I'm pro second amendment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  5. pit

pit Well-Known Member

There was a picture of this hefty black guy with Snapple Ice Tea in his left hand and a bag of Skittles in his right hand, both raised for the camera in protest. Now this "demonstration" is getting hilarious!
  6. Mortal

Mortal New Member

There is nothing hilarious about the demonstration or the situation. A 17 year-old is dead because he went to the store. If it were you at 17, I doubt you would find it to be as funny.
  7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I didn't say the murder was funny, but the protester was. Sheesh.
  8. meowmeow

meowmeow Member

I think its getting pretty ridiculous
  9. deathangel101

deathangel101 Well-Known Member

i have a video of my consolences to the family with me and my best friend talking about it my facebook name is sky missy oppel if any one wants to check it out its on my wall
  10. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

As usual, first reports are erroneous.
  11. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

As usual it is better to withhold judgement until all the details are out and even then the police, judge , and jury are the best equipped to sort through it. Just an opinion.
  12. deathangel101

deathangel101 Well-Known Member

yea right just like they were equipped with all these other cases such as mine haha my dad got away with raping me for 4 years
    they said they couldnt find enough evidence
  13. Brynden

Brynden Well-Known Member

This case wouldn't be news if wasn't so racially charged. Plain and simple. I don't think Zimmerman should be charged with second degree murder. That seems a like an over reach to me. I think manslaughter is more appropriate. Both parties in a way were wrong. Zimmerman for fallowing Martian when the cops told him to stay put and Martian for attacking Zimmerman.
  14. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this... though Martin was just a kid. Zimmerman should have known better. I remember how cocky I was at 17... if some overzealous wannabe cop had tried following me around for no reason, I would've kicked his ass too.
  15. Prinnctopher's Belt

Seems to me the boy was profiled because he was a young, Black man wearing a hoodie at night. Zimmerman provoked the boy and when he got the short end of the fight, he shot him. Problem is, self-defense statutes do not protect you if you were the one who provoked the confrontation, and this applies to Zimmerman, and if anything Trayvon was the one defending himself against a creep pretending to be Batman chasing him with a loaded weapon. Manslaughter requires death by culpable negligence in Florida so I can understand the reason for the second degree murder charge (although manslaughter is typically easier to prove), since Zman chased the boy down with a loaded gun, which he did use to kill him. My prediction has always been that he'll be convicted, but we'll see what all the developments are.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  16. TheLoneWolf

On this subject I actually agree with you. The kid was definitely profiled. And I'm saying that as a white male. I'm not quick to accuse someone of being racist, but in this case, I definitely think Zimmerman went after the boy because he was black. "Young black male wearing a hoodie and walking through an upscale neighborhood", sure, of course that's going to arouse the suspicion of a renegade vigilante on the prowl for possible crime suspects, in spite of the fact that no crime had been committed. The only crime the boy was guilty of was bringing his fists to what he didn't know was going to be a gunfight. And in my eyes, the fact that Zimmerman felt the need to use a GUN to defend himself from an unarmed BOY after HE PROVOKED THE FIGHT, means that Zimmerman is nothing more than a gutless pussy who bit off more than he could chew and didn't have the balls to take his well deserved ass whooping like a man.
  17. Prinnctopher's Belt

So last night Zimmerman did an interview on television, and basically said everything that that the state needs to convict him.A?nyone watch
  18. TheLoneWolf

Did not see it, but I will be looking it up now. I can already pretty much tell the guy is an overzealous racist who wishes he was a cop, but it would be nice to hear the words come out of his own mouth.
  19. TheLoneWolf

Oh. I see. So apparently it was "God's plan" for him to murder an unarmed boy. I'm not real well versed in religion, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Thou shall not kill" one of the Ten Commandments? Somehow I don't think God had anything to do with this, and if you ask me, it's kind of cowardly and shameful for the guy to blame God for a situation that HE put himself into.

As much as I hope justice prevails here, based on previous events, I don't have a whole lot of faith left in the Florida justice system or jury pool. The guy will probably walk, and there will probably be riots or something as a result, which Zimmerman supporters (AKA racists) will claim is proof that black people have no respect for justice and the law. It's Rodney King all over again, only this time the victim was a kid, and that kid is dead. Anyone who says America has become a post-racist society is fucking delusional.
  20. tness

tness Well-Known Member

I was listening to that 911 call from Zimmerman, right away I got the imprecision that Zimmerman is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    The death of this young boy is meaningless, I hope Zimmerman get his sentence.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.