Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Briezy, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Okay so for many months, since I returned from a 20 day trip through europe, I have not been having good sleep. My psychiatrist thought that it was a lot of other factors but realized after about two months that it was not being resolved even after fixing the other factors. SO long story short she put me on this new med Trazodone to try and help me sleep. I have found that the 25mg dose did not help nor is the 50mg dose. When I take it I find that it does the opposite of what it is supposed to do, it makes me become wide awake. it then takes me over an hour to fall asleep. Has anyone else had anything like this happen when they were on this med? What dosage worked for you? Am I really just that much of a black sheep? Thanks for your thoughts!
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

When I tried trazdone it made me not sleep until few hours later then of course I was a zombie by the time I woke up. 75mg here....

I didn't like its long lasting effects. Maybe for you if the problem is falling asleep what about taking it earlier like 1.5 hours before bedtime?
  3. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I've never taken that drug. But I wanted to say you're no black sheep! I took some natural remedies, Valerian tincture, that is supposed to make me relaxed, but it did the taking 10 espressos or something. I'm sorry you have insomnia...I hope you find the right dosage or are able to switch to something more effective!
  4. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments both of you! I ended up switching to ambien but that seems to not be working either. I will keep after it though. i have only tried it for one night so maybe a few more and it should work.
    Frances M likes this.
  5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I have taken trazodone in the past. 50 mg would put me to sleep after 1.5 hours but then I would wake up after about 4 hours.

I am now on Seroquel for sleep.
    Briezy likes this.
  6. spacecowboy

spacecowboy Well-Known Member

In the last few months, instead of the depression causing me to sleep to much, I've been having bad insomnia. The Doctor put me on Trazodone, 100mg. He also took me off Remeron and Celexa and put me on Wellbutrin. Early yet so I have to wait for a bit to see how they end up working. I take the night time meds around 7:30pm but don't usually go to bed until 10 (can be up til mid night).