Trazodone

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by byebyebeautiful, Sep 4, 2008.

1. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

anyone got any information on this drug please

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

What is trazodone?

Trazodone is an tetracyclic antidepressant medication. It is thought to increase the activity of one of the brain chemicals (serotonin) which may become unbalanced and cause depression. It may also be used for relief of anxiety disorders (eg, sleeplessness, tension) and chronic pain.
    Trazodone is used to treat depression.
    Trazodone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
    Important information about trazodone

Before taking trazodone, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have bipolar disorder (manic depression), schizophrenia or other psychiatric illness, a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts, or if you have recently had a heart attack. You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment.
    Trazodone works best if you take it after a meal or a snack. Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself. Trazodone can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Do not drink alcohol while you are taking trazodone. Alcohol can increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by trazodone. Stop taking trazodone and call your doctor at once if you have a penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer. This is a medical emergency and could lead to a serious condition that must be corrected with surgery. Before taking trazodone

Do not use this medication if you are allergic to trazodone. Before using trazodone, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

• bipolar disorder (manic depression);
    • schizophrenia, or other psychiatric illness;
    • a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts; or
    • if you have recently had a heart attack.
    If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take trazodone.
    You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Tell your doctor if you have worsening symptoms of depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several weeks of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed.
    Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment.
    FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Trazodone may pass into breast milk and could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give trazodone to anyone younger than 18 years old without the advice of a doctor.

http://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html

3. sakuragirl

sakuragirl Well-Known Member

My pdoc has just put me on this medicine in conjunction with prozac. This is because HER PERSONAL OPINION....is that it is a great sleep aid but not a great anti depressant. I say her opinion as I do not know how it will work for each person but I am taking between 50 and 150mg a night depending on my sleepiness.

4. ConsolationPrizeFighter

ConsolationPrizeFighter Well-Known Member

i take 100mg every night, can't sleep without it >.< might make you sleepy in the morning at first.

5. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone

my doctor told me that this was first used as an antidepressant and at
    'that time' a much greater amount would be prscribed for or given to
    a patient. at that point, I took a shot at some attempted levity and mused
    something to the effect that "huh..good way to not be depressed ay? just
    wake up long enough for bilogical functions? eating of course being the
    foremost pleasurable waking pastime for myself anyway.."

yes yes..very amusing. anyway, his point was that it was prescribed as
    I said in much greater dosage than it is now days. in some cases 10 times
    the amount now considered to be good. and everyone else on the thread
    has pretty much confirmed the average dose in the modern vernacular.
    it makes ya sleep. no question about that. and unless I am mistaken, it is
    normally suggested to take it before bed specifically for that purpose.

really old drug, like from the 1960's...no reported problems of any major
    degree. is used now almost exclusively and at least primarily as a sleep aid.

just to know as much as you can, read the article in my link and anything else
    you can find. trazadone, like many other medications effects everyone a little
    differently. in the case of trazadone, it is alleged that it effects younger people
    quite a bit differently than it does middle aged or older persons.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

>>>Do not use this medication if you are allergic to trazodone. Before using trazodone, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

bipolar disorder (manic depression);
    schizophrenia, or other psychiatric illness;
    a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts; or
    if you have recently had a heart attack<<<

good article. particularly the stuff about why NOT to take it. ever
    notice, all medications say "don't take this if you're allergic to it"

oh....well, ok :smile: how do I know? weird..the pharmacist always
    asks..."allergic to any medications?"

well?? not that I know of, yet anyway... ya writin a book or somethin?

j/k ... I think they are required by law to ask that and a host of other
    inane questions. part of the deal, doncha know.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I was on trazadone back when I was in the Marines. I was 18/19 years old. I can't remember why, That was years ago.All I know is it didn't do anything for me. Didn't make me sleepy, and it didn't do anything for my mood swings. It is an antique of a medicine.