Treating Overeating With Drugs

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mordeci, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I wanted to let people know that about 4 months ago (roughly) I started on a drug perscribed by my doctor called Phentermine and it really has helped my complousive eating alot. Originally I was on one pill 37.5 mg and didnt really see any improvement, about 2-3 months ago my doctor uped the dosage to 60 mg in 2 30mg pills and its really quiet wonderfull. I had a severe overeating disorder about 5000 caliroes per day spread about 5-6 large meals per day. But with this medication I just am not hungry during the day like I use too be. After about 2 days I could tell my metablism speed up and I just wasnt eating as much. Of course part of it is will power but this pill literally dosent make me as hungry during the day. I am down to 3 regular sized meals and I lost about 40 pounds over the last two months with minimal walking and running (keep in mind I weighed just below 400 pounds so exercise wasnt really possible). For me there is no side effects but this pill could lead to heart problems. I wanted to bring this to peoples attention because I truly think this is as close to a wonder pill as possible in modern medicine, they are 3 FDA aprroved pills for weight loss and one more coming out soon. I tried overeaters anyomus and single and group therpary and for actual cravings reducing, the pills works the best. Of course therpay and O.A. might help you (me not so much, but I have other problems), but really I can not reccomend going to a doctor strongly enough if you are considered obese and have a overeating disorder (I actully never told my doctor about my overeating as far as I know he just gave it to me for being obese). Just wanted to get that off my chest that there are pills, doctor perscribed and legitamte, that can help.

(P.S. Feel free to move thread if in wrong place.)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Glad to see this medication has helped you get control of your over eating hun I hope you continue to do well on it hugs

3. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what things can qualify you to be able to get a prescription for phentermine?

I'm overweight, but not obese (according to BMI). But I'm bulimic and binge/purge on so many calories a day.. some days I'd say my binges push 10,000 calories. Do you think they'd give it to someone who is bulimic and needs to lose moderate weight? Outside of my binge/purge sessions I eat within the realm of normal (my meals aren't particularly restrictive or calorie-heavy, they're about average). If a medicine could help me with my binge urges, I could stop purging. I'm not even trying to lose weight or control my weight anymore, I just binge for anxiety management, and then I'm so full and uncomfortable I have to purge.

4. Depressedfatty

Depressedfatty New Member

Hey in Australia we call it duromine, my doctor suggested it to me for my binge eating/over eating, it didn't work for me but I'm not sure if it's because I have abused drugs in the past and have a high tolerance of some sort, I also found I was a bit more depressed/moody while on them. I'm so happy that it worked for you and wish you the best :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.