Treating self harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Tiger, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

A few days ago I gave in again and this has definitely been the worst I've done yet. I know its against the rules to be graphic in any way so I won't be but I just want to make sure I deal with this correctly.

At the moment:
    There is no sign of infection. My arm feels a bit swollen and achy. I feel nauseous with a headache and bit faint and dizzy but I'm not sure whether or not that's related. I thought it was important to mention though.

I know I need to make sure to treat it properly but the only information I've found online is prevention methods which isn't particularly helpful right now. I don't know much first aid but I've cleaned everything up with soap and I'm covering it up with an old bandage for sprained wrists etc. because I don't have any proper bandages.

Any advice on what to do about this? I just want to be careful, just in case.
  2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Tiger, I would suggest having it seen to. But if your don't, keep an eye on it for infection, increased redness, swelling, pain. Also, if it's deep make sure you don't have any nerve damage, numbness, tingling, decreased motor skills.
    Try and keep the area as clean as possible. I'd be more comfortable if you had it medically assessed, you don't have to relate the reason, or you could say it was accidental, most medical in ER won't pursue the reason too far. But they'd make sure it's healing okay and prescribe an antibiotic if neccessary. Take care my friend.