Treatment for generalized anxiety disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by fooror, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any luck with treatment for GAD?

I've decided to finally make an appointment with the doctor to see if they can offer any help.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi fooror, welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad you decided to make the appt, when is it for? I'm sure they will offer lots of help, but it takes time to find the right treatment for you. From experience, I know they'll usually try you on an SSRI such as citalopram or lexapro to see how you'll respond to them, if that doesn't work they may give you benzodiazepines (fast acting,short term relief from anxiety), doctors don't like to prescribe them first though because they're very addictive.
    I haven't had much luck yet as far as an actual cure goes.. although I think I'm slowly getting there, but I don't plan on giving up!

Good luck to you :)
  3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Hi Fooror, went through that not long ago, i felt a bit more hopeful after seeing the doc. Bit soon to say whether my meds are helping. Hope you find something that works for you.
  4. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Bought myself some 5htp for the interim. Can be useful to take the edge off.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Good luck with that~Hope it helps! Be sure to let us know if its helping x
  6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I have it but mine is severe so the doc gives me seroquel, celexa and effexor...I have to say that without it I'd be WAAAAAAY worse than I am doesn't completely remove it, but it reduces it so you can concentrate on other things, and that you don't have to feel pain ALL the time...

I know there are other combinations...but so far that's worked for me...
  7. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

The 5htp worked for a couple of days, then stopped, but was useful for a bit.

Am now taking effexor. Struggling a bit with a couple of the side effects, but hopefully it'll start working in a couple of weeks. :)
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Exercise, plenty of sleep (hard to get with anxiety, I know) and meditation are things you can work on yourself to help fight anxiety on your own
  9. princehappy

princehappy New Member

A number of treatments can help reduce symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The most effective treatment plans incorporate both measures of self-help and therapy. In more severe cases of GAD, medication can also be used.
    Buspirone - This medicine anti-anxiety, known by the brand name Buspar, is generally regarded as the safest drug for generalized anxiety disorder. Unlike benzodiazepines, buspirone is not sedating or addictive. Although buspirone is calm, it will not completely eliminate anxiety
  10. sami

sami Well-Known Member

I have tried many different medications, and found mirtazapine to be the best by far. Alongside exercise and meditation you should see some progress.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.