Trichotillomania

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Izziebabystar, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

does anyone know anything about this. my daughter suffers with it and have been told its a type of self harm. looking to speak to others who might know more about it then I do. and hopefully people who have been through it or know someone. very worried about my daughter as she is 2.

2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Seek medical advice.

It could be related to what your daughter has seen/been through/learned while you've been in abusive relationships before. But I'd definitely seek medical advice although she could outgrow it.

3. Froggy

Froggy New Member

My older sister has had this for as long as I can remember. I think she triggered it by stress. She twirls a strand of hair, pulls on it, then eats the ends. I don't know too much about it, but know that many people suffer from it.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It's a type of anxiety related disorder. She may need some sort of behavioural therapy. I have bitten my lips since I was young, slightly different but it gets worse when I am more stressed or anxious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.